Thread: Quick ? about steering

Quick ? about steering

I have a blackhawk drive and when i look at the hydraulic steering at cpperformance will ziegler and maifair work.I mean will the bracket that holds the drive top cap to the rams.Or do need something else thanks craig.

All the BH setups I have seen use four of the attaching studs for the wing plates, the top cap is clear so it is easy to run a shower. PM me your email addy, I will shot you a couple of pic's I have. I have a fairly extensive BH file! I am not much of a believer in hydraulic steering on BH, they have little to no drive torque. Also note Don Tam ran a 434 SB with way over 500 HP 90ish without, Mr, X ran some high HP also without. To me it is bling on a BH but a must on any single prop drive that exceeds 65, I could do hands off on my 22 for long stretches as it tracked perfectly.

Oops almost forgot Steve's 18 it ran 78-79 with a dead stock 300 HP Merc he had internal hydraulic, all three of the afore mentioned boats were 18's that ran close to or well above 80. Steve's was the only one of the 18's that was setup correctly, that accounted for his very respectable speeds with moderate stock power.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    All the BH setups I have seen use four of the attaching studs for the wing plates, the top cap is clear so it is easy to run a shower. PM me your email addy, I will shot you a couple of pic's I have. I have a fairly extensive BH file! I am not much of a believer in hydraulic steering on BH, they have little to no drive torque. Also note Don Tam ran a 434 SB with way over 500 HP 90ish without, Mr, X ran some high HP also without. To me it is bling on a BH but a must on any single prop drive that exceeds 65, I could do hands off on my 22 for long stretches as it tracked perfectly.

Oops almost forgot Steve's 18 it ran 78-79 with a dead stock 300 HP Merc he had internal hydraulic, all three of the afore mentioned boats were 18's that ran close to or well above 80. Steve's was the only one of the 18's that was setup correctly, that accounted for his very respectable speeds with moderate stock power.

Phil
    Mr X's X-18 BH boat had steering. Don's boat had steering. MOP, you have given this advice mutiple times over the years. If there is no torque or stress coming from twin props mounted high on the transom, then explain all of the broken gimbals or weak bearings I have run across when inspecting blackhawk boats? Yes, the counter-rotating props may give the impression at the wheel of less stress, but actually the exact opposite is true. Blackhawk boats also tend to have more transom issues at the gimbal, due to this stress. Steering is a must. Two props surfacing more often creates twice the amount of stress on the boat whether you feel it or not at the wheel.

My 1998 had 180 hours on it and it had internal hydraulic steering . It was getting loose around the steering arm and probably the gimbal needed to be rebuilt . I think both of you guys are right , in a straight line I don't think there is much stress but in turns it has to be a lot more . The setback of the props have to be 8 or 10 inches more than a bravo . like a lever , it has to have an exponential amount of stress . I would have felt better with external steering but I am saying that having had a loose steering arm .
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

?

But will these work for my drive.Or do i have to modify these from ziegler or maifair.does anyony have steering for sale that will work on my set up please help spring is near i can feel it i hope.

There is a good deal in the swap shop on offshore only. Helm back for 2500.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Todd PM your email addy I will send you photos of Don's and Mr X sans external steering.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information