Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Donzi Criterion II

Donzi Criterion II

There's been some discussion of Criterion II's over the years on the forums, but I've been really interested in these boats for the past few years and I think more discussion of these boats is necessary due to their one-of-a-kind rarity. I think it would be great to use this thread to compile all the info we know about them and maybe even create a registry of the ones we know.

Here are the build numbers I have found:
    Criterion II- 10 (? I found some places stated 10 and some stated 3)

No one knows where any of them are. One was for sale in '03 named Mad Dog Enterprises, owned by two lawyers. Some said it was actually an SS and no one has heard anything about the boat since. Link: http://msubat.tripod.com

They were possibly made with only twin turbo motors.

I also heard that the Criterion II's had an electric pop-up bar between the driver and passenger, does anyone have pictures? That's really neat.

Attachment 74644

1982_Criterion_II.jpg
    Donzi 22' Classic

----I worked briefly for Donzi during the beginning of the Criterion period. I have no idea how many total Critters were produced but thats John Chisholm in the drivers seat. I cant quite tell if thats Sally (his wife, who was very pretty) or a model. I seem to remember that the very 1st Critter was Johns personal boat and did have a wet bar that raised up from the middle of the bench seat electricly. I think that boat went to the Muskokas for the summer as it was Johns practice to spend a good part of the summer at his home up there with his family. He probably sold it before returning to the south. I also remember him telling me that they were working out the bugs on an electricly powered front hatch (automotive sunroof style) on the other Criterion model, but dont know if any were produced. The front hatch did retract forward on the ones Ive seen but they were manually operated. By the time the Critters were out I dont remember ever seeing any turbo-charged motors. Not saying it didnt happen but the warrantee problems were a nightmare. Biggest motors I remember were some very healthy Mercruiser racing packages. 330 and 370 TRS packages were the norm. Hope this helps......Bill S

Farmer Tex (Mark Horn) has a II (I think it is anyway, as it has all the duplicated gauges). He bought the boat in the New Orleans area. It had some rot issues and he spent what was necessary to repair the boat and have the gel redone.
    I'm not sure about the fridge (bar), but, it did originally have a hydraulically operated forward hatch over the
    "rumble" seat forward of the cockpit. As far as I know, they mostly were 330 HP 454's.
    They are very cool, but the cockpit is very tight and has very little room.
    Also, the build quality of the 22 hulls (the same hull was used for all the Criterions, F-22, and 2+3 Classic) was kind of spotty. Most all of the 22's I know of from that era have some issues w/stringers, cockpit bottom, and the inner strakes in the area of the engine mounts.
    It sounds like I'm being tough on the Chisholm and some Staples boats, but they're pretty old now, and were never meant to be still in service after 30 years.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Farmer Tex (Mark Horn) has a Critter II (I think it is anyway). I believe it was in typical condition for a Chisholm era 22. He had to have stringer, and transom work done, plus had the gel re-done.
    Anyone interested in one of the early 22' needs to investigate and have a survey done before purchasing.
    I don't think Donzi ever expected to have their boats still in commission after 30 years.
    Critters of all models are unique, very cool boats, but they're kind of tight, and have very little useful space.
    I've been told you can't stand up behind the wheel.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George
    of course they are tight with no storage they're classics aren't they

Farmer Tx's critter is an SS which looks like a II when the front hatch is closed and if the grab rails are not there

I believe these are the pics from the for sale ad of his boat just before he purchased it.

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/criterionss.pdf
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

.org has a copyright on that image????
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I don't know how copyrights work, but I suspect the copyright isn't on the image but on the watermarked image. Essentially meaning, it's unlawful to take the image from there and re-use it commercially. Not that they necessarily own it outright. That's my guess.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I think Ghost is right, and since I'm not selling the image or using it for commercial purposes its ok to use it.

Does Donzi still have the molds for the Criterion? I heard they were thinking of producing more in 2005.
    Donzi 22' Classic

The uniqueness is all in the deck as the hull is the same for all 22's, Criterions (all iterations), F-22, 22C.
    I don't know the answer to your question, I didn't hear that. There would have been at least three deck molds. It's possible the F-22 and Criterions shared parts of the same deck mold.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I don't know why the would have wanted to make more. They didn't sell to start off with because they aren't a useful design. To have an expensive 22 foot boat that seats 5 is one thing but to have one seat 2-3 is another.

Why did the boat have 2 speedometers? Was the port side faster than the stbd? Reverse and forward?
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

Quote Originally Posted by SanDogDewey View Post
    Why did the boat have 2 speedometers? Was the port side faster than the stbd? Reverse and forward?
    apparently, they needed extra gauges to tell them what their gauges were doing... that was only on the SS and II models though...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    apparently, they needed extra gauges to tell them what their gauges were doing... that was only on the SS and II models though...
    In my opinion, the "benchseat" Criterion II was a modern version to the gentleman racers of the 30's. That model would not have been marketed as a utility boat. Thus the low numbers... Cool niche ma ket boat! Just my thoughts only!

Quote Originally Posted by 72Hornet View Post
    In my opinion, the "benchseat" Criterion II was a modern version to the gentleman racers of the 30's. That model would not have been marketed as a utility boat. Thus the low numbers... Cool niche ma ket boat! Just my thoughts only!
    I agree, very cool boat. No grocery getter there. A Shelby Cobra on water.
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

The double set of gauges were so my wife could b**ch

about how fast I was going, how I was over reving, you get the picture...Ed

Thread Information