Thread: Speaker locations

Speaker locations

Getting ready to install my stereo system. 4- bose flush mount speakers, 2-300 watt amps, head unit, wired remote. I will be installing the head unit behind the dash and control from the full function wired remote.

Heres the question-is any one sorry about the location they put their speakers? My thoughts were to install one pair below the rear seat, and one above the foot rest in front leaving them out of plain view.

Steve

I think you'll hear it better if its in the sides, not under the rear seats facing forward.

Is the Bose a standard sized speaker? Mine came with old Boses that I replaced and I had to have a plastic ring made to get them to fit because of the huge 9" enclosure behind them despite the 3.5" speaker size. As a result, I couldn't install new standard 6.5" speakers without rings.

Make sure they are a standard size so you can easily replace later. Marine stuff doesn't last forever. From my experience, it could be some oddball size.
    Top Gun 1992 22 Classic 540hp rebuilt HP500 King Cobra

I like where mine are currently. If you put them under the rear seat then the enclosure behind them is rather small so at higher frequencies they will be distorted versus in the sides of the boat, where the entire sides of the boat are used as enclosures.
    Donzi 22' Classic

I am fixing to go through this and had pretty much decided to put two speakers on either side of the footwells in the front then on either side of the tub just in front of the rear seat. Seems like two easy spots to access. FYI- DickB makes some Donzi speaker covers out of wood that are pretty cool...has the Donzi crest around them and a prop in the middle. If interested I might be able to find some photos of them.
    Regards,
    Adam B. Lively
    Previous owner of a 2002 Donzi Classic 18' Scorpion
    Current owner of a restored 1974 Donzi X-18
    Future owner of a bad-ass Donzi (planning stage)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. "

I was afraid the underseat may not be the greatest. I think I will try and locate some spray paint to match the honey color and shoot the grills so they dont stand out. They are the 131 models which come with their own enclosure, but are arctic white.

Keep in mind when you get people's opinions there are distinctly different setups in the Classic lineup.

The older ones, Minx included, have no firewall. This means under the seat on each side is really the engine compartment. The newer boats have a firewall so that area is different.

In my old minx they were in the sides, the top of the speaker was about level with the rear bench seat. They were spaced between the rear bench and forward buckets. They were in a good spot for sure.

I think the bose come with their own enclosure so the location, in reference to the 'box' effect, is meaningless. Location for being able to hear them is what will matter most.

VetteLT is right, if you don't have a firewall then the speakers will perform great under the rear seat.

Since your speakers come with their own enclosure, as long as the enclosure fits they will sound great anywhere because they are engineered for that enclosure. On a side note, if you did have a firewall and your speakers didn't come with an enclosure, you might want to look into tower speakers (i.e. the TCX from JL audio) which are engineered to be used in a small enclosure.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Thread Information