Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Need Prop Advice for a 73 X18

I am hoping that my 19 pitch from Griz will work on the Volvo 250 leg on the 1968 18 that is coming into my home. Anybody want to chime in if they know if it will fit and work on my 250 Volvo leg? It fit on my Volvo 270 drive on my 1972 Hornet, but the boat ran too high on the RPM's for my comfort. Griz sent me a 21 and that was the sweet spot for my Hornet. Just got cleared to drive today from my knee surgery and drove for the first time in 4 weeks. A bit uncomfortable with the brace, but doable! Trying to line up some time in the next few weeks to pick up the 18'. Can't wait!
    I got to thinking about when I met Griz at the Miami Boat Show. It was with 2007 or 2008. He was so helpful and introduced me to both Dr. Solas' at the Solas Booth. I still have their business cards. Randy was a great guy, and I think about him everytime I take the Hornet out...

Royce
    I ran a solas on my original 250 it will work if you have an issue let me know I have stuff to make it work
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thanks Matty! I just got cleared to drive and am headed for a 300 mile drive today to Madison Wisconsin for a class that I want to take this week. A bit unconfortable with the brace, but it will be done. Taking a class and then hoping for schedules to work out for arranging a trip to pick up the 18' Donzi late this week. I am getting a bit anxious as I am ready to for summer and to be here and to bee able to walk without crutches or a knee brace! Funny how we take stuff for granted! Getting healed one day at a time!

Patrick, I was wondering if you had the chance to splash your 18' yet with the Solas prop? I am anxious to see how it worked out for you! Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by 73X18 View Post
    The tech guy from Solas got back. Spoke with him, sharp guy, 45 years of boat racing experience, based in Miami, knows Donzi's...

Told me that the Titan is the only one available for the AQ270 and while there is a Titan 3 it wouldn't fit. He said the Titan should work well, will provide some bow lift and has a slight cup to it. He said if I wanted to add more cup after running it I could get it tip cupped at a good prop shop.

Thanks everybody for the input. Counting down the weeks before the ice leaves the lake.
    I think the extra cup was something that Randy had done on the very early first edition of the solas. I remember the first 23 showing up at the Dustoff a year before they were released and it was tested on a very healthy 377ci motor and it could be barely spun to about 4300 rpm. My numbers with the first 21 had a GRIP not slip number which is impossible the numbers made sense if you put it in a 23 pitch prop. This would go by the rule of thumb add an inch of pitch for every inch of diameter and for additional cupping.

I also told Randy I would go to my prop guy to have it tweaked, he said that he wouldn't get much more out of the prop just leave it as is.

Ted I would run the prop and i would bet you'll be happy with the way it performs out of the box.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by 72Hornet View Post
    Patrick, I was wondering if you had the chance to splash your 18' yet with the Solas prop? I am anxious to see how it worked out for you! Inquiring minds want to know!
    Not yet. Just finished painting the outdrive. The boat goes in for interior on 5 May. You can follow my progress here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...-Project/page7
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

My son is now the new owner of Ralph's X-18. As Ralph said he found the 21 Solas to work best. But as I have found in 40 years of boating, production props performance can very from prop to prop. Has anyone ever found a shop that will broach a Merc prop out to a 17 spline Volvo ? Back years ago there were many shops in my Detroit area that could do it reasonably , not much luck in finding one today. My Magnum sport has the Merc shafts in the Volvo drives that are raised 3" up. My props are solid hub 23p Mirage that work very well, and are easy & reasonable to find as they are used on Trs & Bravo drives. If someone could broach Merc props out it may open up a bigger selection of props with out breaking the bank.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    My son is now the new owner of Ralph's X-18. As Ralph said he found the 21 Solas to work best. But as I have found in 40 years of boating, production props performance can very from prop to prop. Has anyone ever found a shop that will broach a Merc prop out to a 17 spline Volvo ? Back years ago there were many shops in my Detroit area that could do it reasonably , not much luck in finding one today. My Magnum sport has the Merc shafts in the Volvo drives that are raised 3" up. My props are solid hub 23p Mirage that work very well, and are easy & reasonable to find as they are used on Trs & Bravo drives. If someone could broach Merc props out it may open up a bigger selection of props with out breaking the bank.
    Mark

Just say N20 has a 26 cleaver of mine that was a merc prop with a volvo hub pressed in it. I never had any luck with it but i was no where near the HP or trim he will be running . i don't think I spun it high enough to find it's sweet spot . I am looking fwd to seeing what he feels about the prop compared to the solas. He also has a merc 25 chopper setup for the volvo which was a great mid range cruise prop but a wild mess at WOT .

i felt the the 21 solas ran better than any other prop I tried , which all in all was probably 2 ultras , 2 brass narrow hub , a custom spinelli, a few michigan and the two mentioned above.

Again this was on a non trim 250 at the standard lower X the early volvo classics had. I was told the older volvo didn't like a turbulent flow which explains the lower x and the lack of inner lifting strakes on the very early boats. The lower was redesigned on the later AQ's and a lot has been learned in the 4 decades since. Maybe raising the X might help but in an older 16 or 18 that might be problematic with clearance .

Smidge I agree normally stock props have a great degree of variation but everyone has had close to the same consistent outcome with the solas.

Interesting stuff always has me curious.

COME ON LET"S GO ICE OUT ALREADY WE WANT TO GO BOATING
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Mark

Just say N20 has a 26 cleaver of mine that was a merc prop with a volvo hub pressed in it. I never had any luck with it but i was no where near the HP or trim he will be running . i don't think I spun it high enough to find it's sweet spot . I am looking fwd to seeing what he feels about the prop compared to the solas. He also has a merc 25 chopper setup for the volvo which was a great mid range cruise prop but a wild mess at WOT .

i felt the the 21 solas ran better than any other prop I tried , which all in all was probably 2 ultras , 2 brass narrow hub , a custom spinelli, a few michigan and the two mentioned above.

Again this was on a non trim 250 at the standard lower X the early volvo classics had. I was told the older volvo didn't like a turbulent flow which explains the lower x and the lack of inner lifting strakes on the very early boats. The lower was redesigned on the later AQ's and a lot has been learned in the 4 decades since. Maybe raising the X might help but in an older 16 or 18 that might be problematic with clearance .

Smidge I agree normally stock props have a great degree of variation but everyone has had close to the same consistent outcome with the solas.

When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Mark

take 3 posted this like 3 times but the damn moderator thingy keeps getting me I feel like rainman ??

When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Justsayn20 has two props of mine that are Merc props with a volvo hub pressed in. I never had much luck with either one but his setup is a tad different trim and HP
    so I hope he finds what he is looking for, can't wait for spring to see his numbers.

the solas was designed a few years ago specifically for the aq's so it has shown consistant performance from everyone who tries them.

this is try 4 for this reply really feel like rainman now 2 minutes to wapner 2 minutes to wapner

hopefully the moderator approves my previous replies as it they some more info that I am not going to retype
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

My son is now the new owner of Ralph's X-18. As Ralph said he found the 21 Solas to work best.

Congratulations! That is a nice boat. He should really enjoy it.

Has anyone ever found a shop that will broach a Merc prop out to a 17 spline Volvo ? Back years ago there were many shops in my Detroit area that could do it reasonably , not much luck in finding one today.

I spent considerable time trying to find someone to do that (I live in Grand Rapids, MI), calling all across the country, and had exactly 0% success.

Mark

Matty, I too am anxious to do some testing and get some solid numbers. Are you ready for me to send the Solas 19 out yet?
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Matty, I too am anxious to do some testing and get some solid numbers. Are you ready for me to send the Solas 19 out yet?
    Bill,
    no rush run the two props and see if they work for you. then we can talk no sense in sending props back and forth. my lake is still waiting on ice out but we have had a lot of rain so it should not be too long,,,,,,,,,, if old man winter doesn't send any parting shots.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

some of the other info I had mentioned in the missing posts

the volvo don't like a turbulent flow, this is the main reason for the short inner strakes on the early classics. Not sure if it was the nature of the lower case or limited prop technology at the time.
    Raising the X on a volvo 16 or 18 might be a problem with clearance and may be more of a PITA then it's worth. In a twin app with no clearance issues, being wider out with newer props they work well.

Smidge I do agree that out of the box on most props there is a great degree of variance in performance. Grizz did a lot of legwork and homework on this offering and the product is very consistant out of the box.

Bill

the 26 cleaver you have I never could get to it's sweet spot they like the water near the surface and with no trim I could never get it there.

the 25 chopper was a great cruising prop at 3000-3500 but at wot is was a wild mess not sure why could be it torqued the cable steering to much or didn't like my nose cone just not sure .
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Back in 1992 we tested for 5 days our Skater race cat at Mercury's Marine old Florida Lake X. We were able to try every prop combination that they had in there inventory. In testing we found that even Mercury's paired labed props worked differently from set to set.. When we were done we found 10mph in there props combinations. Thats why I say try as many props as you can. You never know you my find one to work better than the one that's ID stamped the same. It's great to see members here help each other with props to try out, much easier on the wallet.

Thread Information