Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need Prop Advice for a 73 X18

Patrick, I am excited to see your results with the Solas 19 Pitch on your Ski Sporter. I ordered a 19 and 21P from Griz four years ago for my 72 Hornet. The Hornet has the 270 Volvo drive and the 21 pitch was the sweet one for that application. I am going to put the 19P to work on a 1968 18' with the original 225 Holman Moody Ford V-8 and the original 250 Volvo outdrive.
    For my 270, I drilled and tapped the Prop Shaft and also made a new plate for the trim fin to gain clearance. What alterations did you have to do on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Hornet View Post
    Patrick, I am excited to see your results with the Solas 19 Pitch on your Ski Sporter. I ordered a 19 and 21P from Griz four years ago for my 72 Hornet. The Hornet has the 270 Volvo drive and the 21 pitch was the sweet one for that application. I am going to put the 19P to work on a 1968 18' with the original 225 Holman Moody Ford V-8 and the original 250 Volvo outdrive.
    For my 270, I drilled and tapped the Prop Shaft and also made a new plate for the trim fin to gain clearance. What alterations did you have to do on yours?
    I think I've got a later model 270 (84 date stamp), as the Prop Shaft already had a bolt securing the Prop Cone. All I had to do was make an exhaust cover plate out of SS. My outdrive helmet is supposed to be here on Saturday! Still got some buffing to do on one side of the boat, but we're almost ready to go!
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

Patrick, I can't wait to see your results, I will have to wait a few months until we get soft water here in Iowa. My plans are to run the 18 first as it is, so then I can record the differences in what the Solas will do on the 18' hull. I am thinking that if it may really wake up the 18's performance. Anyone else out there want to chime in? I have a little seat time on a 1969 Ski Sporter that a good friend of mine owns and he is still running the Volvo propellors. It is a lot of fun, but there is hardly any difference on top speed with his brother's 1968 18. Both are yellow by the way. It is a riot to see them both out running down the lake!

Quote Originally Posted by 73X18 View Post
    Nice looking boat. Thanks for the info. I see you used the cone. Did it require any special washers? Not sure if my 270 is different from your 280 in that regard.
    I just use one lock washer with the bolt for the nose cone.It is a lock washer for those type of bolts...not just a standard lock washer.
    Should be able to pick them up ay any industrial supplier that sells nut and bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDogDewey View Post
    Very nice! Are you running a 351?

I've got the Solas 19 mounted up to my 302. As soon as my new outdrive helmet shows up I'm going to drop this thing in the water and try it out.
    Thanks San and buiz.....I'm running the Chris Craft 350 LT1.

PICT0027.JPG

Anybody have an opinion on the Solas Titan vs the Titan 3 vs the Lexor? I ordered a Titan because that is all I thought was available. The box it came in showed the other two. Looks like the Titan 3may have been the one to order?
    Thanks
    Ted

the solas uses the Titan name with other Mfgr's . the Lexor looks like a volvo sx prop, not a volvo aq prop the early aq's usually were a 17 spline the sx and newer volvo were 19 spline.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Ok, thanks we can rule out the Lexor.
    the question that remains is Titan or Titan 3. Here is what the box says:
    Titan: High Power Applications. High camber blade and large blade area design. Great load carrying capability. Excellent fuel economy.
    Titan 3: High Speed Applivation. Performance prop for high speed planing hulls. High rake blade design provides excellent bow lift and acceleration. Heavy cup design increases bite and reduces slip.

Sounds like the Titan 3 is the one I should have ordered. The Titan sounds like it may be better suited for an old deck boat. I want speed and bow lift.

Thougts, experience? I don't even know if the Titan 3 will work on a Volvo-Penta AQ 270 and is available. Their customer service has not replied.
    Ted

Using the solas website prop finder the models that work with the 280-290AQ. Are

Amita3. Alum 3 blade. 14 inch dia pitches from 13-23 both left and right but the 23 is only right handed this is not the prop you want

Amita3 e plus alum 3 blade larger dia then the amita3 pitches 13-21 both left and right. This is not the prop you want

Amita4. Alum 4 blade dia falls from 14.75-14 as pitch rises from 15 to 23 but the 23 is only right. This is not the prop you want
    I have a left hand 21 on order to try see how a 4 blade works but not holding hope out

Saturn. SS 3 blade dia 15 pitches 15-21 both left and right. This is not the prop you want

Saturn 4. SS 4 blade dia 15.5 pitches 15-19. This is not the prop you want

Titan. SS 3 blade dia 15-5/8 pitches 15-23 this is the only model they make in a 23 pitch that is left handed this is the prop big grizz worked on this is the prop I tested this is the prop when people say they have a solas on their Volvo AQ
    If you prop is 15-5/8 in dia

This IS the prop you want I don't have the boxes for my solas props or what the part numbers were i got them a long time ago, but it shows 8842-156-21 as the part number for the 15-5/8 21 pitch left hand titan prop maybe someone who has a box or the part number of a prop they ordered recently which may help.

i can't find a titan 3 in a search but they do show a video on youtube with a titan 3 mentioned. it may just be some confusion with the name. These props were not around 8-9 years ago and I can't see them making a general purpose SS prop and a high speed SS prop for the old volvo AQ when there is no market for a general purpose SS prop just the market for high performance SS prop for the classic go fast crowd.

I miss Randy

props

I have a hydromotive intimidator 3 got it years ago.The boats a 73 x18 LT-1 with 270t.The original prop when ordered from Hydromotive ,was a 23pitch and boat lost 500 rpms.I sent prop out the Henry Smith a local prop shop here in Michigan ,and had a little pitch removed.This summer my old alum. prop spun the hub so ,I put the hydro on and was suprised the boat was now close to 68-69 mph at 5800 rpms.

Ted,
    some more info the part number i posted is for a titan 3 according to getaprop.com so you should have the right one

http://www.getaprop.com/content-prod...ler_volvo.html
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thanks Mattyboy
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Ted,
    some more info the part number i posted is for a titan 3 according to getaprop.com so you should have the right one

http://www.getaprop.com/content-prod...ler_volvo.html

The Titan 3 prop numbers they give are for the Titan props - I do not believe they consider the Titan 3 any different than the Titan. Just my take going by the part numbers. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

That's kind of the impression I got too Bill
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

The tech guy from Solas got back. Spoke with him, sharp guy, 45 years of boat racing experience, based in Miami, knows Donzi's...

Told me that the Titan is the only one available for the AQ270 and while there is a Titan 3 it wouldn't fit. He said the Titan should work well, will provide some bow lift and has a slight cup to it. He said if I wanted to add more cup after running it I could get it tip cupped at a good prop shop.

Thanks everybody for the input. Counting down the weeks before the ice leaves the lake.
    Ted

Thread Information