Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fast 22C experts, I need help

Fast 22C experts, I need help

I'm putting in 600hp this spring. I have stock bennetts and a King Cobra that I would like to keep. I'm willing to spend the money on a custom bracket for steering just to keep it (which is prob cheaper than a bravo swap still.)

Do I need longer tabs? What steering should I get. I've got time to wait for used for a few months and will buy new if there is nothing available. Aside from making the steering bracket and dropping the motor in, I will be doing this by myself. I have installed tabs before, I can fill small holes with resin etc. Also I will install silent choice.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you DONZI.net!
    Top Gun 1992 22 Classic 540hp rebuilt HP500 King Cobra

Check out the Bennett ST16 tabs. Pretty much plug and play since you already have Bennetts.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Hard to say on the tabs because the KC will be a different setup. Dr. Dan I think had an HP500 with a KC, he might be the guy to talk to. Most of the guys running fast have shorty drives. I ran my brother's boat enough to know that it didn't need tabs ever. Only used them when it got rough and were running slower to throw the bow into the waves to make the ride better.

Have you considered spending a bit less on the engine, going for 500-ish HP and putting money into a drive swap?

From what I hear the KC will be a better power handler but I have to imagine you'll be leaving quite a few MPH on the table with a deep KC.

I already bought the motor, but I got a screaming deal. Under 4k for a new solid lifter 502.

I run mostly on Lake Washington in Seattle which is 35 miles long and a mile wide. There is boat traffic on nice days in the summer and some of the bigger yachts kick up large wakes. I usually can see them and slow down for those if I am going fast, but I usually don't open up if it's choppy out. I use my tabs for a nice 45 mph cruise in choppy stuff. When I'm at 50+ I retract the tabs and when I'm playing around jumping waves I don't use tabs unless I need to to keep one side down.

If I don't need to upgrade the tabs I'm all for saving the money. If it's scary at 75mph without the tabs I will just go ahead and get it done. Never been 75mph in a boat before so I don't know. Also, it would be really lame if I installed the steering and planned to do tabs the next year and then found out I needed to move the steering to get the tabs in.

I don't need to squeeze out every last mph. There is no one to race on Lake Wa. I'm sure 75 will be plenty fast for my guests and myself.

Since Dr. Dan rarely gets on this site and I run with him ALL the time, I will kind of speak on his behalf He has a HP500, king cobra drive, no steering, and runs 82-85 all day long. He does not use his tabs at all if anything he keeps them parellel with the bottom of the boat and still runs 82-85. He always says when he gets his big boy pants and runs his tabs all the way up he will actually see what his boat really does

He did buy a custom bracket for steering for the King Cobra, he got it from Madpoodle it was a little bit of cash but is a sweet setup. He will be putting Zieger steering on this spring or early summer hopefully. Not sure if Madpoodle has any more or can hook you up with a bracket shoot him a pm on the other site...

IMO your King Cobra will be fine with the HP, and as far as losing some speed with the deeper drive I am still not sold on that fact mainly because of the numbers Danny runs with his setup compared to the other guys with similiar bravo set ups....

Hopefully Danny checks in on this post, he has lots of knowledge on running these boats as he was one the first ones to put a HP500 in his boat with a King Cobra....I talk to him daily so I will let him know about your post.

Good luck keep us posted....

Undertaker with a slow red 22 classic

The motor will run real high rpm, so I can stick with a lower pitch that will be easier on the drive when I'm cruising around. I'm thinking 27 Mirage. I like how the boat handles now with a 23 Mirage.

I believe Dr. Dan runs a 26P TXP turbo prop, he could turn a bigger prop for sure he just hasn't tried on yet, however he has them in his arsenal to be tried

FWIW, Bravos don't like a lot of RPM.......
    Stick w/the KC.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Stick with the Bennetts for now, put in the engine and see how she runs. Full steering is nice but tricky to put on your drive I guess.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Stick with the Bennetts for now, put in the engine and see how she runs. Full steering is nice but tricky to put on your drive I guess.
    I think what you do is remove the raw water pump cover assembly, impeller and wear plate, put some studs in then install a custom steering plate to attach the rams to. I guess you either cut or remove the plastic drive cover so that you can then attach the rams to the custom plate.

---Does this sound about right?

You then install an auxiliary raw water pump and pickup which isn't all bad since the impeller is now obsolete.

...seems a fair amount of work and money for a drive that as nice as it may be is kind of becoming obsolete ...or I guess it will be if and when you break it and yessir even though I haven't got mine running yet ( year behind schedule) I have thought about this a bit.
    Last edited by JayZ; 02-01-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: clarity
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Miike...what were you running originally(engine(hp), drive ratio, rpm, prop, speed)? I run a stock 330hp through a bravo with a 23 mirage and on a good day see 65 on the GPS(4800-4900rpm) but not sure engine is 100% stock but I think it is(opinions?). I think 600hp would fetch you WAAAYYYY more than 75 with a 27" mirage....more like 85+ with a 28-30 lab? Keep us posted on how this works out but I also agree on both things: 1) you need external steering over 70mph. 2) keep the stock tabs until you think you need otherwise. At full tilt boogie, most tabs are up 100% anyways.....mine are over 45-50mph for the most part. Then again at certain speeds in smaller boats you NEED a k-plane to keep the boat planted. Again drive it first.

PS...does'nt a stock 496HO(425) run 75mph? If so a 600 is crazy hp. I'm happy with 65 with a 7' beam
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

If you're fine with the tabs you currently have, you will be fine with the tabs and more hp. Generally speaking, the faster you go in these boats, the less tab you need.

I need A TON of tab in my boat....more than most, yet as I go faster, I need less tab.

Now, going fast on Lake Washing Machine can be scary with any length of tab. Lots of confused water on that lake.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Not sure how yours is set up but some folks who've done big power like that in a 22C have strongly suggested beefing up the glass and maybe installing a cradle for the motor. There's a not-too-old thread somewhere with lots of specifics...
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by biggiefl View Post
    Miike...what were you running originally(engine(hp), drive ratio, rpm, prop, speed)? I run a stock 330hp through a bravo with a 23 mirage and on a good day see 65 on the GPS(4800-4900rpm) but not sure engine is 100% stock but I think it is(opinions?). I think 600hp would fetch you WAAAYYYY more than 75 with a 27" mirage....more like 85+ with a 28-30 lab? Keep us posted on how this works out but I also agree on both things: 1) you need external steering over 70mph. 2) keep the stock tabs until you think you need otherwise. At full tilt boogie, most tabs are up 100% anyways.....mine are over 45-50mph for the most part. Then again at certain speeds in smaller boats you NEED a k-plane to keep the boat planted. Again drive it first.

PS...does'nt a stock 496HO(425) run 75mph? If so a 600 is crazy hp. I'm happy with 65 with a 7' beam
    I ran the 330hp 454 with a King Cobra, which is 1.43 (I haven't messed with props for a while so that might be wrong), with a 23 Mirage that I had cut down and added a little cup back into so that it would run 4750. I think my fastest ever was 67mph. I got this motor because it was a great deal, don't really need 600hp, just always wanted to repower with a solid lifter motor and all the machine shops wanted $10k+ to build one and this was sitting complete so I bought it.

I don't go fast usually. I'd be willing to try the 26 turbo if another KC boat is running it into the 80s. Anyone know how to get a hold on Madpoodle? I tried to PM him on S+F yesterday.

Do I need to replace the helm with the Zieger kit? There's one for $2500 and one for $3400 on CPperf. The $3400 has a helm kit.

Thanks

Yes, you need a new helm and a special block-off plate to cover the holes, part # 1003000. If you specify a 120 cc helm you will stay at 3 turns or less lock to lock. The helm that they usually include can get you up to 5 turns I've been told. A b*tch at the dock.

You can contact MadPoodle through the only other Donzi forum.

Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thread Information