Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Donzi 43 ZR Hits 40+ ft wave caught on tape

Donzi 43 ZR Hits 40+ ft wave caught on tape

Not a very smart move by this captain, but gives me more confidence in the rough water capability of our 43zr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsCyRol4TA
    - 1996 Donzi 22 Classic Blackhawk Limited Edition w/ 500hp Mercruiser 502
    - 2001 Sea-Ray 240 Sundeck w/ Mercruiser 5.0L
    - 2005 Formula 382 FasTECH w/ Twin Mercury Racing HP600SCi
    - 2008 Donzi 43 ZR w/ Triple Mercury Racing HP700SCi
    - 2009 Meridian 441 Sedan Bridge w/ Twin Mercruiser Cummins 480
    - 2014 Regal 27 FasDeck RX w/ Mercruiser 8.2 Mag

Hard to tell details from the video, but I'm pretty sure the name of the boat is "Darwin's Waiting Room." Stupid human tricks for sure.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Looks like it was either take the wave head on or beach the boat once he got trapped in there. I've been seeing mixed reports on injuries or boat damage and would like to know the outcome.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

HOLY COW!
    DUNESMAN

Captain screwed up by getting in this situation...but I think he handled it the best he could...what else could he have done????

Walk in the park...

Balls, bronze or 17-4PH (heat treated)

Did that in a 12 foot 2-person sea kayak once...flipped end over end.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Wow

I wish the guy hadn't stopped recording. I'm thinking he lost power, otherwise I think we would have seen him hightail it out of these from behind the last wave. Unless there were injurious, which I am sure there was. Did you see there the guy was weightless!!
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

It looks like the weightless guy ends up on the deck in front of the wind screen. Maybe that's why he couldn't hit the gas after the moon shot.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

yeah, for sure someone was on the deck in front of the wind shield. Holy cow! So what are the facts of this story?
    DUNESMAN

I think I read on OSO that one of the passengers is suing...what a douche... Really surprised that more info hasnt been released yet...wonder how the hull held up???

what puzzles me, this was just north of Mavericks number 3 on the top 10 deadliest waves of the world. not sure if he knew where he was or if he did if he did it on purpose or was he heading north to try and get out of the break area . not a good thing when your inside the break with 20-30 footers

http://surf.transworld.net/100007483...-of-the-world/
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    what puzzles me, this was just north of Mavericks number 3 on the top 10 deadliest waves of the world. not sure if he knew where he was or if he did if he did it on purpose or was he heading north to try and get out of the break area . not a good thing when your inside the break with 20-30 footers

http://surf.transworld.net/100007483...-of-the-world/

Agreed. I think this was a classic case of "see how fast it can happen." One minute you're rolling along and the stuff on your left feels a long ways away and is not all that big. Suddenly, rolling along at 40 mph, that turns into being pinned in, not being sure you could even turn around if you tried, and the stuff's getting much bigger, and the wave angle is now running you onto the rocks. I'm a little surprised nobody got seriously hurt or worse.

And as you say, about the only way to avoid it is to...well...avoid it. Which means knowing the area and what can happen, a LONG time earlier, and never being forced to make a split-second decision.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Agreed. I think this was a classic case of "see how fast it can happen." One minute you're rolling along and the stuff on your left feels a long ways away and is not all that big. Suddenly, rolling along at 40 mph, that turns into being pinned in, not being sure you could even turn around if you tried, and the stuff's getting much bigger, and the wave angle is now running you onto the rocks. I'm a little surprised nobody got seriously hurt or worse.

And as you say, about the only way to avoid it is to...well...avoid it. Which means knowing the area and what can happen, a LONG time earlier, and never being forced to make a split-second decision.
    exactly. then if your trying to figure out if it is a lefthand or a righthand break to make your escape it is too damn late. I have read the drives broke after hitting the bottom not sure if that is true but in the end part of the video one of the waves does have what looks like an oil slick. I always thought as I sat on the beach on the Jersey Shore it would be a blast to skim along the outside of the break like the jet skis do . I gave that up after a run in 1000 islands in nasty 5 rollers.

I guess he handled it best after screwing up would have been worse if the boat rolled then tumbled into shore or been pinned on the bottom by the surf.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information