Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ditch Trip 3 Okochobee Waterway 2013

Ditch Trip 3 Okochobee Waterway 2013

Ok, here we go again. I am starting this thread to gauge interest in a trip for this year. I haven't settled on dates yet, but I am looking at late April, into May. I have a call into Pirate's Cove and need to get back with them next week in order to find out which weekends look good for us as far as open dock space. I will keep you posted.

For those not familiar with the trip, we leave from Fort Myers on day one, cross the OWW to Stuart. Stay the night, have dinner and a party, head back the next day. The trip is about 212.3 miles round trip and is one of the most diverse runs we have ever done.

Here is the link to 2010 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=franklin+lock

and some info from 2008 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...rip-1st-report

We won't linger on the 2008 trip as it was a bit of a nightmare for me and the boat, but it was a hell of a party.

Anyways, start thinking about it give some feedback.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I will run this year if the dates don't interfere with Leesburg bikefest which is April 26-28.
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

Quote Originally Posted by hdsadey View Post
    I will run this year if the dates don't interfere with Leesburg bikefest which is April 26-28.
    I will keep that in mind.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

any idea how much the weekend will cost? Fuel food lodging?

Hey Bob , what about staying over at Roland Martins ? the bar looked kind of cool and we could avoid a lake crossing . Just as an idea . I hope to have my boat together by then !!
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by hdsadey View Post
    any idea how much the weekend will cost? Fuel food lodging?
    Alot will depend on the variables. If we go the whole route, I will use a less than 2 tanks. Rooms will be $100-$130/nt. Food is what you eat. Dockage could be $1.50/ft.

I will get more info as soon as I can.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
    Hey Bob , what about staying over at Roland Martins ? the bar looked kind of cool and we could avoid a lake crossing . Just as an idea . I hope to have my boat together by then !!
    John, I will contact them also and see what we can come up with. It is on the table though.

Now get back to work on that boat.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I have been kind of busy lately and need to get back on this.

I posted this reply to Buizilla on the DMRS site. Let me know what you think.

Bob

A couple of years ago, we stopped at RMs for lunch on the way back to Fort Myers. The restaraunt/bar was great. Big outdoor venue with plenty of seating and a great atmosphere. The food was fabulous. They had a catfish plate that was delicious, and I hate catfish.

There was plenty of dockspace and fuel available. The ground were well kept and I am sure the rooms would be similarly kept. This was much better than some of the fish camps that have been visited in the past.

For these reasons, Smoke and I have been kicking around the idea of staying there and not going all the way to Stuart. Maybe with the economy in mind and the decreased expenses, it is worth a shot.

If we come from Fort Myers, there will be no need to cross the lake, so the water conditions will have little bearing. We can go out on the lake if the conditions warrant, if not we can ride the south route.

Just some thoughts. Input appreciated.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Every now and again we ride the scooters down to RM in Clewiston. Its a nice place. Thats gotta b a good half days run from Ft. Myers after all the locks and such. I'd b up for that. The lake was at New Years when we were out in the airboat.

I'm not sure how interested I will be, since I am in Stuart, will wait to see what you have planned.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fegettes View Post
    I'm not sure how interested I will be, since I am in Stuart, will wait to see what you have planned.

Steve
    Steve,

Briefly, although Jim's idea is a good one, I am not sure that a lot of budgets will accommodate the trip. From what I saw, the rooms on Captiva are about $230/nt and up, + tax and dockage. That could be around $280+ for the one night stay. Kind of steep when you add in a night at RMs for $88 + tax, plus fuel, food, expenses.

Anyways, if that option is out, and I am not saying it is, we have 2 popular options. FM to Stuart and back the next day. Rooms around $120+ dockage, etc.

Or, FM to RMs, stay the night, and return the next day. Rooms around $88++, short docks are $8/nt, supposedly up to 21'.

Now, if we do FM to RMs, we can also try to have a second contingency come from Stuart to RMs and meet up there.

My leaning is toward RMs due to expenses and such. We will see what happens.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I am definately in for the FM to RM run. I am not interested in going to Stuart & back. I love boating but not THAT much boating and getting a trailer to Stuart would be a PITA. I have boated in Stuart many times with the Marine Max Whaler rendezvous and would prefer something different for that kind of expense. I think 2 groups is a great idea Bob, One from Stuart, 1 from FM and meet in the middle so to speak. I assume you know of a place in FM that we can store our trucks/trailers safely? Most ramps do not allow overnight parking nor do I want to come home to no ride the next day

PS...if you need a place to crash Bob...I am about midway from you to FM.

PSS...I think we finally found the leak. Looks like the lower hoses to the Y-pipe were the culprit. One internal flapper was bent so water could not be fully stopped coming back in. This caused the y-pipe to corrode and hence why such a small leak and why it only took in like 3 gallons then stopped. Will find out soon if we are right.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Just for those who have never been there, here are some shots of RMs, from Google
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

There are spots to leave vehicles overnight on both ends of the OWW. WP Franklin Lock in the West and St Lucie Lock in the east provide overnight parking for these type of events, $3/nt.

Nick, glad you found your leak, hopefully. And, thanks on the offer. We will see what happens.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Make it happen...I have beer to drink!
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Thread Information