Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selecting the right speakers

Selecting the right speakers

I'm upgrading the sound system on the 22 and I can't decide whether to get tower speakers or cockpit speakers. Cockpit speakers require at least 2 cubic feet of space behind them to work properly in low frequencies, while tower speakers require very little space behind them but have a much smaller range and less bass (and actually require very little space)

I think I'll be fine up front with the cockpit speakers, but I'm not sure if there is enough space behind the rear speakers.
    What's everyone's thoughts?
    Donzi 22' Classic

It's gotta be an age thing...............
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    It's gotta be an age thing...............
    I'm not sure what you mean?
    Donzi 22' Classic

Quote Originally Posted by RockyS18 View Post
    I'm upgrading the sound system on the 22 and I can't decide whether to get tower speakers or cockpit speakers. Cockpit speakers require at least 2 cubic feet of space behind them to work properly in low frequencies, while tower speakers require very little space behind them but have a much smaller range and less bass (and actually require very little space)

I think I'll be fine up front with the cockpit speakers, but I'm not sure if there is enough space behind the rear speakers.
    What's everyone's thoughts?
    FWIW, I thought the Bose cockpit speakers had their own sealed rear chamber, and that it was a good bit smaller than 2 cu ft. I could easily be wrong, but have you checked those?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I went with 4 7.7 JL audio component speakers and 1 10" sub in the nose. The JL audio are by far some of the best sounding speakers and as for the component factor you can keep the speaker a little lower and just move the tweeter up so it sounds great. The icing on the cake is you take anodized gauge bezels and mount them behind the tweeter kind of like a beauty ring.

Blake

Throw down some links to the equipment you are talking about.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    FWIW, I thought the Bose cockpit speakers had their own sealed rear chamber, and that it was a good bit smaller than 2 cu ft. I could easily be wrong, but have you checked those?
    Here's a link to the Bose speakers:
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...kers/index.jsp

Those are cool, but I plan on some JL Audio speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeSullivan View Post
    I went with 4 7.7 JL audio component speakers and 1 10" sub in the nose. The JL audio are by far some of the best sounding speakers and as for the component factor you can keep the speaker a little lower and just move the tweeter up so it sounds great. The icing on the cake is you take anodized gauge bezels and mount them behind the tweeter kind of like a beauty ring.
    I like the gauge bezel idea, if you did that on your boat, do you have pics?
    Donzi 22' Classic

If you want great sounding tunes in the boat that can play loud then I would go with high quality speakers that fit the factory cutouts, a high power receiver and a small sub and amp under the bow.

If you want to rock the docks or lake then you will need to build full range boxes that can be removed and set on the engine hatch. You have to get the speakers out of the boat. Sub could still be in the bow. Maybe totally customize the under rear seat area to do that.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Rocky, I probably shouldn't have commented...
    It seems like the older I get, the less noise I want around.
    I'm installing good quality marine speakers that fit the original factory cutouts (about 5"-6"), but have no plans to power them w/anything. I'll probably leave that up to whoever buys it.
    If I were to include some control device and amp, it'd probably be installed behind the passenger's side of the dash, out of sight, have bluetooth capability, accept different types of memory devices, take phone calls, and controllable w/a remote.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Rocky, I probably shouldn't have commented...
    It seems like the older I get, the less noise I want around.
    I'm installing good quality marine speakers that fit the original factory cutouts (about 5"-6"), but have no plans to power them w/anything. I'll probably leave that up to whoever buys it.
    If I were to include some control device and amp, it'd probably be installed behind the passenger's side of the dash, out of sight, have bluetooth capability, accept different types of memory devices, take phone calls, and controllable w/a remote.
    ...less noise George? Sailboat in your future?
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

LOL,
    Jay, less work too!
    I spent years racing in Galveston Bay.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

My last post had to be approved by a moderator and it went through so I'll repost it so it is seen:
    Originally Posted by Ghost

Here's a link to the Bose speakers:
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...kers/index.jsp

Those are cool, but I plan on some JL Audio speakers.

Originally Posted by BlakeSullivan

I like the gauge bezel idea, if you did that on your boat, do you have pics?

My plan is JL audio 7.7s up front, 6.5s in the back, and a fusion head unit... Maybe I'll add an amp next year.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Speakers

I might not be the norm since I still like my music and once in a while like to hear it even when going wide open. I have 26ZX and installed a 1000 watt Fosgate amp with (2) 10" Marine Clarion subs and (4) 6.5" MB Quart's marine speakers. Left the two sony speakers in the cabin direcly hooked to the radio. I would of said the MB quart's are good speakers but I had to replace one of the speakers and didn't like the new models they ofered, I replaced with a pair of Fosgate 6.5" marine and they are incrediable, much better then the MB Quart speakers and price was pretty decent. When I installed the gear 7 years ago I dont' think Fosgate had the Marine speakers, I would defiantley recommend the Fosgate speakers, I have always been sold on their amp's and sub's. I can check tonight but I think I went with the M262's. Good luck, Jim

The classics are good for speakers, the whole boat kinda turns into the 'box'.

The key is a good amp. I used cheap JBL speakers powered with a good head unit (Clarion marine waterproof) and could hear it at speed and it had great bass. I had planned on putting two more in but never did because the pair worked fine.

My brother's rocked. 4 Bose marine speakers, Clarion waterproof head, powered bazooka tube in the bow to the left of the storage thing. The Bazooka was switchable on the dash so you could turn it on/off depending on the music. You could hear that setup over his dry exhaust when he had them.

I have a pretty decent stereo in the bowrider. Four 4.5" Rockford Fosgates under the rear seat and four Infinity 7" marine speakers in the stock locations (two in the bow and two in the cockpit). Those are all running off of a 1k watt amp, Sony marine head-unit with multiple wired and wireless remotes, aux input, Sirius, and a 10 disc changer. Also a 12" Infinity sub w/ integrated amp in the gunwale next to the passenger seat. There is a sub controller mounted under the passenger dash (just a knob) to regulate the bass and all of the big components are mounted inside the port console. It is a wall of sound inside the boat, even on plane with the pipes open.

The sub makes a huge difference and I like the integrated sub/amp/enclusure combos like the Infinity or the bazooka tubes. Less wiring to deal with and no need for a custom enclosure or a clunky MDF & carpet box to deteriorate in a boat.

Power management is a big deal, particularly on a single battery. I have two 1000CCA Interstates after killing several "bargain" batteries. Optimas are great but I had a hookup on the Interstates and they seem to work just as well. The stock alternator has kept up with charging duties, I just try and keep track of which battery I have been running the stereo on and dedicate the alt output to that battery on long runs. I would definitely consider adding a dedicated house battery if you are only running a single now.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Thread Information