Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To speedo or not to speedo?

To speedo or not to speedo?

So I'm reconfiguring the gauges in my zb21, making a new laser etched billet plate. I plan to do a 4.5" tach with 4 other smaller gauges. My question is this. Gps speedo is a no brainier but about $400 for gauge and receiver. What gps speedo do I carry with me everywhere? My iPhone, and it's a free app. And it will always be with me in the boat playing the tunes. So then I ask: speedo gauge or iPhone?

Matt

Neither, guess your speed and add 10 like most do.

I always felt the speedo was for the passengers to see how fast they are going. i had a speedo in the last two boats and the pickup was kicked up so neither worked. i guess if i had a gps speedo i might like it . i always used my handheld gps to track speed

I guess it would depend on how balanced the dash plate looked too
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Just a crazy idea...

What if in place of the GPS speedo you cut out a tiny space in the dash and put a vertical iPhone dock that comes out of the dashboard there? (those docks are cheap so even if the connectors change again they are easy to replace) then just put your iPhone there and it charges while displaying the speed. I suppose you'll have to have the brightness turned all the way up on a sunny day and you'll need an app that displays the speed in large black font with a white background in order to be read if the sun is glaring on it.

If anyone wants to build on the idea go ahead
    Donzi 22' Classic

Or traditional speedo, as a form of backup...mine seems remarkably accurate, within 1 mph.

But I'd definitely put SOME speedo in, even GPS, just for resale if nothing else.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I still have my old traditional speedometer if you are interested in doing what Ghost said for backup.
    If you need it, send me a PM.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Exactly!!!

Mattyboy, either the pickup is up, clogged or broken, so traditional speedos never work. Hence GPS is the way to go. And exactly on the iphone mount. Already have the mount and extra power port. SO, for balance I plan to do a monster tach in the center surrounded by 2 gauges on either side. The free app displays a white number only in full screen on a black background. If I care about speed, well then I can look. Otherwise the vitals of temp, rpm, and oil pressure are in full view. I actually drive by rpm most of the time.

Thanks fellas. Should be awesome. If you guys end up liking the panels and billet, my buddy owns a shop in Hackensack, NJ that does custom laser dash panels for all kinds of applications. I'll post photos when done.

-m

Matt

yes I have the pickup kicked up on purpose so the speedo doesn't work , never had any real luck with the pitot style always seem to bust a pickup, or crack the tubing letting water in. haven't found a gps style gauge that looks period correct for my older hornet, plus I have an analog clock to tell me how fast I am going :? LOL

what do you like? and how do you invision the dash with two large gauges or one large one?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

My Blackberry with Speedometer v4.0.4 is pretty accurate for a couple of bucks.
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

Gauge layout

So just like a lot of older race cars, and even like the mini cooper today, I plan to put a monster 4.5" tach in the center with 2 gauges on either style. I'm laser cutting the panel out of red anodized billet aluminum and will also cut the donzi letters and Z logo into it as well. I'll do all the other panels at the same time too.

I'm liking the autometer carbon fiber series.
    http://www.cpperformance.com/popup.a...e/865-2003.jpg
    Not vintage gauges by any means but the boat is an 80s model which is suitable for retro-modding.
    Those with a Livorsi wheel should make a nice cockpit.

Let the shopping commence!

Mattyboy, I'm not sure what your gauges look like so it's probably a long shot, but I know that the Livorsi II special edition has a retro look.

They're worth a look at.
    Donzi 22' Classic

yembo, I also went with the Auto Meter gauges, and I wanted a speedo.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good
    Is that 75MPH (GPS) just before impact?

Thanks,

Actually it was 70 MPH before impact, but that is a whole different thread.

Yeah, I don't know why it is showing 75. maybe I took the photo before I had the panel wired, couldn't say.

Ken

Ken, great looking dash. I don't mean to jump into someone else thread (please forgive my rudeness) but when the new gauges went in did you have to rewire everything to get the new look hooked up? Always confused me just how that was done one these boats? When I put a new gauge package in my outboard I ended up rewiring the entire boat, lots of work.

Thanks and again sorry.

Thread Information