Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: More ponies for the family boat

Sweet, looks pretty different. Right down to the cool little inline gauge.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Making slow but steady progress. Down to the short hairs now, chasing parts and trying to avoid paying $8 in shipping for a $3 fuel fitting.

Everything is cleaned up and painted. Need to chase some threads and get the tstat housing bolted back up and hook up all the hoses. Manifolds and risers will be back from powdercoat this weekend. Had the son of a friend do them. Unfortunately underneath the factory coating the GLMs look like dog poop. Lots of casting imperfections and voids. In retrospect I should have done them myself with some body filler and spray paint, but this kid is starting a business and I wanted to help him out a little.

Still chasing some final fittings. I knew the darn fuel pump outlet was 3/8, but when I started trying to hook up the fuel line I discovered it sure isn't 3/8 NPT. It's actually 3/8-24, little tiny sucker. Since there isn't a -6AN to 3/8-24 adapter in existence that I could find, I opened up the OEM brass adapter as much as I dared with a drill and ordered a -6AN to 5/8 inverted flare adapter. Live and learn.

Have the remote oil filter setup ready to go, just need to bolt her up when I get the risers on there and measure & install the hoses. Still need to source some 1/2NPT to 1/2 hose 90deg fittings. Also have some senders to install and wiring to route. The high-speed Hardin throttle linkage I bought won't work with the teleflex throttle cable end so I had to rig it up with some old linkage out of the parts bin. For now it will be the ugly duckling of the refresh... At some point I may throw a universal throttle cable on there and use the Hardin stuff as it looks a lot nicer and I really don't feel like returning it.

One more solid weekend and she'll be ready for sea trials!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Ready for sea trials - just add batteries and water.

Project took longer than expected and spiraled horribly out of control towards the end. We've had a rainy spring and I have had a lot of time cooped up in the shop with spray paint, braided hose cover, and heat shrink. And beer, lots and lots of beer.

Here's the engine ready for first start-up and initial tuning in the driveway. Once I check for leaks, set timing, retorque the exhaust after a heat cycle, etc, it will be time to hit the river for prop testing. Really hoping she'll pull the 22P Bravo 1. Still need to plumb in the dh custom remote oil filter mount and temp gauge, but not to worry, I have lots of blue hose cover left...

Engine dressed.JPG
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Looks awesome duck!
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Runs like a champ!! Fired her up this afternoon. Just had one leak pop up, at the banjo fitting to the carb. Mrs. dh and I sat in the driveway drinking beer and listening to tunes in the boat for an hour after dinner. Gonna change the oil tomorrow and hit the river. I'm stoked that it started and ran so well.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Congrats! Interested in the sea trial results after all your winter's work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Congrats! Interested in the sea trial results after all your winter's work...
    Thanks Ghost - you and me both!!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Nice

Duck,
    It turned out very well and looks great. Nice fabrication and assembly work it’s obvious you put a lot of thought into your project as you moved along. Good luck this year and in the end you will feel great satisfaction knowing that you did all the work.
    Bobby

Looks really nice! Good luck on the sea trial!
    www.mwdonziclub.com

sounds like an interesting project. i agree about the way the boat rides and it being the incorrect prop.

the bravo will be too much prop im thinking. you would see more of a gain with a bigger carb. im not a fan of carter carbs but 750 would have been my choice.

there is a wall of resistance @ 50mph that takes a lot to overcome and is broken @ 60mph. you are caught in it currently. have you tried a turbo prop?

im thinking the manifold and a 750 carter would give you about 3-4mph. a cam and some intake grinding 3-5 more..., exhaust manifolds...

the correct prop could be worth 1-2mph maybe.

GL!
    Last edited by Donzi_Dude; 05-25-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Had the chance to hit the river a couple of times. The good news is that the motor is running like a champ. Better throttle response and power from idle to WOT. Did a thorough checkout of the engine after the initial sea trial - checked plugs, rechecked timing, vacuum test, etc. Everything looks great.

Unfortunately I couldn't pull the 22P Bravo I past 4100rpm. It ran great from holeshot through high cruise speeds and actually allowed me to trim up to the limiter without blowing out. Hit 52 mph at 4100 and ran into a brick wall - no matter how I trimmed it wouldn't pick up any more revs. I'm thinking I just don't have enough torque to swing the 15.25" four blade.

The 19P stock prop (Merc Vengeance) performs pretty much the same as it always did. Can't use any trim past 1/4 without ventilation. Seeing pretty much the same speed (approx 51) from 4400rpm to 4900rpm.

Going to visit a local prop shop and talk to them about trying some different wheels. Really hard to tell anything from the descriptions online - the manufacturers would have you believe that all of their props accelerate like the space shuttle and make your boat run on unicorn farts.

I'm guessing that a smaller diameter 3 blade like a 21P Laser II might get me higher in the powerband and still carry the bow. Or an Enertia, or Turbo, or ?.....

Overall happy with how she's running but disappointed with the prop results thus far.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

I think a rev 4 which i believe is smaller in diameter than a bravo might be a good place to start. A laser 2 might get u a good top end but i think it would not be the best for cruise and all around.
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Overall happy with how she's running but disappointed with the prop results thus far.
    Lets face it, you have a power problem not a prop problem. Been there and tried to solve it by throwing props at it. Wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    The 19P stock prop (Merc Vengeance) performs pretty much the same as it always did. Can't use any trim past 1/4 without ventilation. Seeing pretty much the same speed (approx 51) from 4400rpm to 4900rpm.
    Just wanted to make sure I had this right...when you get to 51 at 4400rpm, you can add throttle and drive the rpm up to 4900, but speed doesn't change? You're just slipping/ventilating more and more as the revs climb? If that's true, and if your max power is up at about 4800 or 5000, I'd expect you MIGHT make another mph (maybe as much as two) by getting the revs up with less pitch. If there's a right prop to do it I mean. You're not getting full power down at 4400. Question is what wheel would hold its bite with your hull past 51 at your level of trim, and is there one below 19" pitch that would spin 52-53 at 4800-5k rpm. Hmmm...

(One aside: I assume you're running the test with a light load of people/fuel/gear, such that you should be topping out your rpm under the loading conditions. But if not, that's worth doing in seeking the right prop. I figure you're already on that one.)

Quote Originally Posted by tmdog View Post
    Lets face it, you have a power problem not a prop problem. Been there and tried to solve it by throwing props at it. Wasted money.
    Last weekend I was thinking the same thing. That lead to a ton of troubleshooting and rechecking all of the work I did this winter.

Without going into the motor I have checked it out thoroughly. Compression is good on all cylinders at around 170psi. Vacuum test gave good results across the board, from idle to quick throttle blips to cruising to WOT. No indications of worn rings, bad valves, under or over-carburetion, vacuum leaks, etc. Plugs are all good to very slightly rich and are the correct AC MR43LTS. All plug wires and coil wire have good continuity. Coil checks out on a bench test, I have not load tested it. Good voltage at the coil, ign module, ign key, alt output, batteries, etc. I added an additional ground wire at the distributor for good measure.

Timing is set at 10deg initial and 30 all-in with the HP500 module in base timing mode (BTM). Since this is a TB-V once it's out of BTM it will add more timing based on input from the knock sensor and overall engine reaction (continuing to gain rpm as timing is advanced). Running good ethanol-free 93 octane. Fuel filter is new and the old one had no signs of water.

Fuel pressure is good, although I am going to check and see if there is a restriction somewhere on the tank side of the pump that doesn't show up in the driveway (vent hose issue, etc). Easy enough to do by teeing the vacuum gauge into the fuel pickup. Carb linkage is good and goes to WOT. Choke is completely off when engine is warm. On a whim I wired open the secondary air valve to ensure that the counterweight wasn't too heavy for this application with no changes, ie the vacuum secondaries are opening like they need to.

Unless I'm missing something I'm pretty sure I have a healthy small block. It should be pretty darn near 300hp. Folks that sell complete 2v to 4v conversion kits for the same motor see 307hp on the dyno and I have better exhaust.

I will admit that the B1 was a little optimistic... Just too much wheel (diameter, blade area, weight) with a SBC & 1.47 gears. The 19P Vengeance is clearly not enough prop - it doesn't carry the bow or respond well to trim at all. With the carb upgrade I can bang it off the rev limiter at will, which I couldn't do stock. I'm certain that there is a middle ground that will improve cruise & top end speeds and have enough traction to be able to add more positive trim.

Option two would be to blow completely past the point of diminishing returns and throw 600hp and a big drive & wheel on it and get it running all the way back on the pad. I suspect that wouldn't work out very well for tubing though...

At the end of the day I just wanted to get this thing running well (which it is) and propped correctly. I realize that it will never be a speed demon. It rides well and carries all of our gear out on the river. The four barrel conversion was low-hanging fruit, but I can't justify repowering or doing anything too crazy.
    Last edited by duckhunter; 06-18-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarification
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Thread Information