Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: More ponies for the family boat

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    can you use self aligning rockers? The 1.6's would be like adding a mild cam and if the self aligning would work that's an easy job.
    Gotta do some more research. There are a lot of conflicting reports on running 1.6's without enlarging the pushrod holes. The narrow-body 1.5 comp roller rockers will supposedly fit with no modifications to the head or valve covers. The stock rockers are self-aligning and you can get the comp units in SA as well.

I'm thinking that the 1.5 rockers now would support a larger cam in the future... I really don't want to deal with pulling heads this season. That could quickly spiral out of control!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Gotta do some more research. There are a lot of conflicting reports on running 1.6's without enlarging the pushrod holes. The narrow-body 1.5 comp roller rockers will supposedly fit with no modifications to the head or valve covers. The stock rockers are self-aligning and you can get the comp units in SA as well.

I'm thinking that the 1.5 rockers now would support a larger cam in the future... I really don't want to deal with pulling heads this season. That could quickly spiral out of control!
    I'm no 6 Cyl expert but seeing as it's basically a 350 with 2 less cylinders I'd think you would have to at least cut off the drip tabs on the valve covers.

I have done the Crane self aligning on a 350 and they worked really well. more power and lower oil temperature. I did a mixed set... 1.6 intake, 1.5 exhaust. On certain engines the springs can be an issue and on the one I did the exhaust springs may/may not work with 1.6's so I opted for the mixed set to not chance it. No idea on springs for the 6 cyl... they may not be compatible either?

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    I'm no 6 Cyl expert but seeing as it's basically a 350 with 2 less cylinders I'd think you would have to at least cut off the drip tabs on the valve covers.

I have done the Crane self aligning on a 350 and they worked really well. more power and lower oil temperature. I did a mixed set... 1.6 intake, 1.5 exhaust. On certain engines the springs can be an issue and on the one I did the exhaust springs may/may not work with 1.6's so I opted for the mixed set to not chance it. No idea on springs for the 6 cyl... they may not be compatible either?
    This is a SBC unless someone stole two of my cylinders when I wasn't looking! You're right though, the later Vortec V6 is basically the same setup.

Every place I checked indicated that the 1.6s wouldn't work without some head work, so I'm going to skip it for now. If the heads ever do come off it will be a full meal deal and I'll get them machined for bigger springs & screw in studs along with a new cam. If I splurge now it will be for the 1.5 Comp narrow self-aligning rollers that will bolt in with no mods.

Trying to avoid the point of diminishing returns on this boat. At some point in the not so distant future the drive will become the weak link and there's no way I can justify a Bravo in this thing. The intake / carb was low-hanging fruit so I jumped on it.

At the end of the day I would have been money ahead to buy one of these turn-key 23 Warlocks with a BBC/Bravo, but it wouldn't have been a Donzi that my wife found...
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

forgot about the press in studs on a small block

Vette, he's got a 350.
    You probably would want to pull the heads to rework for screw in studs and open up the push rod slots. May want to change the valve springs for at least new for the added lift. Sure a lot easier than changing a cam. My desk top dyno says it's worth about 25HP going from 1.5 stamped to 1.6 roller.
    Thank you, Patrick
    1994 18' Classic 350Mag Alpha

Previously owned Donzis -
    1996 22' Classic, 502Mag Bravo
    1987 20' Minx, 350Mag Alpha
    1975 18' Classic, 350Chevy Volvo 280

Pat - thanks. I typed a reply earlier today but it is apparently still floating around the reaches of the interweb somewhere.

Everything I read pointed to what you are recommending; there is no easy bolt-on solution. I'm just not sure I am ready to do that right now, so it might need to wait for next season...

For the machine work on the heads, new rocker studs, head bolts or studs, head gaskets, springs, retainers, rockers, pushrods, etc it is probably +/- $600 and another two or three weeks of downtime. From a wife perspective I am probably ahead of the curve to call it good for now... If I wait a season it will cost an extra $50 in exhaust/carb/intake gaskets that I would save now, which I can live with.

I did find a set of used Corsa clamp-on tips that I'm going to try. Some of the lakes we want to run this summer are not loud boat friendly and in this instance it's not good to be the squeaky wheel.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Made some progress over the last few days but nothing spectacular. Just catching up on the ankle biters!

- Made some carb studs to work with the spacer and throttle bracket. No off-the-shelf studs would work and look right.
    - Cleaned up the oil filter bracket. Pretty proud of how this turned out.
    - Fabbed a bracket to hold the solenoid and circuit breaker on the back of the manifold vs. on the throttle linkage.
    - Test mounted the coffee can mufflers. We'll see how it sounds, but I suspect these will be coming off for the gorge run...
    - Ran a ton of hardware through the bench grinder to clean it up.
    - Prepped stuff for paint. Just need a couple days of good weather.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

You should modify the 1 inch thermal spacer. One big hole or duel like the manifold. I think the 4 holes will defeat the purpose of a duel plane manifold.

You most likely will not be able to add a longer duration cam"later closing intake"
    So the 1:6 Rockers would be a better choice and a lot less work. Probably just as effective as putting in a high lift cam.

Leaving the 1:5 on the exhaust will help with the reversion pulse. As the exhaust event will remain unchanged.The 1:6 on the intake event will happen at the same time but more opening and the valve is moving at a higher velosity.
    The only thing is see about the mix set is the intake valve could open more than the exhaust valve. Which probably is not common practice .The cam in my pre- vortec 350 mag with 1:5 is .430I and .450E with a 1:6 on the intake would be .458. so it would open more by .008 than the exhaust.

Augh Ough .Reserch develepment . We need to know what this effect has

ppp
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Way behind schedule on this - life got in the way. Between work, travel, tree trimming, lawn mowing, honey do's, cheerleading, etc I have been covered up. Got to spend a week in the mountains in CO and a week at the beach in FL this month, so not all bad.

Outdrive is installed along with drive shower and a pair of Corsa mufflers I'm going to try on some of the lakes around here. Motor is still down to the long block and needs some love. Got a bunch of parts and hardware cleaned up and painted, still more to do. Also drilled & tapped the new carb for the PCV hose, took my time so I didn't turn the brand new Edelbrock into a paperweight.

Plan for this weekend is to grab a bunch of parts, tools, a cooler of beer, and a can of Copenhagen and hang out in the garage until I make some progress. The 80deg weather is killing me - could have been out on the river already!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

I still have the engine with 575 ponies and about 600 lbs of torque, that would fit in real easy. It's sitting in my shop collecting dust. Instead of being the last to the lunch spot you would be in the pack with the wife turning stark white hanging on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I still have the engine with 575 ponies and about 600 lbs of torque, that would fit in real easy. It's sitting in my shop collecting dust. Instead of being the last to the lunch spot you would be in the pack with the wife turning stark white hanging on.....
    You're killing me! That thought has crossed my mind more than once since you put that thing on the market. If I sold the Jeep I could do your big block AND a bravo conversion...

Maybe after you get your 22 buttoned up we can do a monster sleeper bowrider project.
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    You're killing me! That thought has crossed my mind more than once since you put that thing on the market. If I sold the Jeep I could do your big block AND a bravo conversion...

Maybe after you get your 22 buttoned up we can do a monster sleeper bowrider project.
    Still plenty of time, before the Gorge Run! I intend to be there to watch the Inferno go by the Flowerpot like I just went into reverse at 90+. That bowrider needs some juice!

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    Still plenty of time, before the Gorge Run! I intend to be there to watch the Inferno go by the Flowerpot like I just went into reverse at 90+. That bowrider needs some juice!
    I'll stick my hand up and volunteer to yank the Inferno and his 32P prop up onto plane just to see her take flight...

The bowrider should be one of the faster family boats on our little corner of Wheeler Lake this summer, but I have to figure something out for the pesky bass boat guys and their eggbeaters. They would poop bricks if I blew by them at 80! We'll see what the extra ponies do with the 4v conversion, and after that it might turn into an arms race. I know you're familiar with that concept! Stan's big block, a Bravo with a slick lower, and a big stinking prop - gotta be good for 80 in a 3200# stepped hull.

The whole crew is looking forward to having the Flowerpot fly by us in the gorge like we tossed out the anchor (again). Got a little something special for the bushwhackers this year!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

don't worry ducky, stan's 2 speed trans will get it on plane just fine...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    don't worry ducky, stan's 2 speed trans will get it on plane just fine...
    Hey, I'm just going by old-school Inferno racing history here. It wouldn't be the first time Stan has pushed a rope from behind the wheel of a ridiculously fast boat!
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Cool Progress!!

Finally had an afternoon to work on the boat and drink beer! Got the intake on, valve covers installed, and now working on routing wires and hoses. It's fun bolting on shiny new stuff! Still lots to do on the punch list, but way closer to being on the river than I was this morning.

Here is the engine compartment when I bought the boat. Bimini top was mounted above it and there were Starboard dividers that made engine access impossible. Little bit of rust creeping in around the risers too.

12. Mercruiser 350.jpg
    Here it is in last summer's configuration. Added the Corsa diverters and new exhaust manifolds/risers, moved the bimini under the rear seat, removed the dividers, and polished the sweet flame arrestor.

2013-03-09_11-48-16_184.jpg

Here she sits as of this evening. Looks a lot better to me!

cleaned up.jpg
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Thread Information