Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: paging you King Cobra Experts

paging you King Cobra Experts

I decided to get back to my '93 Classic 22 project tonight.Wile fumbling around trying to figure out how I'm going to convert the old spitfire igntion to something not obsolete and wire up a shift interrupt and such I threw my hands up and have decided I'm going to simply convert it to a Bravo drive.

I think the boat will be easier to have worked on and will probably be worth more with a bravo out back than the now obsolete King Cobra drive.

I know making this change will create a new set of problems but at least parts are plentiful!

*****Can anyone tell me if the X-Dimension is going to be any different between the KC and the Mercruiser Bravo?

****I understand I'll need a new transom assembly and bellhousing. What about the engine coupler? Are the splines the same?

I understand that the cut out for the drive is pretty similar and that maybe just a couple extra holes need to be drilled but no major glass work. -heck even if the transom needs to be re-glassed and re-cut that's not that big of a deal.I'll probably have a couple of new impeller kits available for those of you running the KC drive still. ...hard to find and not cheap. The KC drive passed vacuum and pressure test so if anyone wants a spare...
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

From what i have read the KC has the same coupler as a merc set up. I dont think you need a shift interrupt with the cone clutch KC it has a hump on the top and holds about a gallon of gear oil. If u switch i am interested in your impellers i have a 350 spitfire KC set up and i am converting to a standard marine DUI setup. Aaamarine can guide u through switching your ignition and have shift interupts directions etc. they carry an hei and a electronic set up with external coil. The hei set up with new wires is under 400 its a one wire hookup.

Yes mine is the cone clutch with the hump. ...seems everyone that owns one says you truly need a shift interupt to have smooth shifting. I have a DUI distributor that I purchased but am pretty sure there is no aftermarket shift assist module that will work with it but I may be wrong. ... I a sure there is no plug and play kit out there.

I'd like to use the KC drive as it seems both Dr. Dan and Barry Eller really like theirs but I think I'll be better off going with a Bravo 1.

The impellers kits cost me a pretty penny... If I continue down the Bravo path I'll let you know about the impeller kits.
    Jay Z.

Before u go changing outdrives call those guys at aaa marine. You will find they do have a plug and play set up for you. When i get home on my computer i will send you a link where a guy did this and he has a wiring diagram to boot
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Hmmm, sounds like they are just shorting out the coil between shifts.

thanks.

I am torn on what to do. Stay tuned...
    Jay Z.

Smokediver,

Are you located in Texas?

Thanks,
    Jay Z.

That is all an interupter is, again it should not be needed. I would try it before I bought it.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Smoke is in Naples Florida
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Biggiefl, On the KC the interrupter originally pulsed the ignition so it didn't completeley drop out. ...was concerend about stalling issues if I short it completely.

Did Smoke used to live near Seabrook, TX. ...seems I looked at a Blackhawk boat he had for sale a while ago.

THanks,

JZ
    Jay Z.

No. He is Fl boy. He did have a blue blackhawk for sale that he bought in Tx and sold in Europe.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

that's it! I looked at the Blackhawk before he bought it. ...neat boat but what a handful for a novice. It reminded me of flying an airplane when I test drove it the way it was so responsive to tabs and trim.
    Jay Z.

On the Alphas it has a detent that the cable goes through. When it moves it hits a switch that blips the coil off a split second. When cables get stiff or if you shift slow it will die. Bravos have none due to the cone clutch and shift like freakin butter. The new Volvos are even smoother if you can imagine something smoother than butter.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Thanks Bob. Yeah that was a fun boat and i added the 280 kplane plates and it really made a big difference. I bought the boat from a really nice guy and we keep in touch from time to time. The buyer said he was from Texas but he was really from Germany or something like that. I hope he is having fun with it. It was a really special boat.

Jay, the shift interrupter does short the coil...momentarily cuts ignition to kill engine so pressure and load are taken off the cone clutch. They will not shift out of forward into neutral without a shift interupter. Good to see you getting back to the "Stinkpot"...
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Thread Information