Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need exhaust help!!!!

Need exhaust help!!!!

The deck is off the TR and this is the first time I've tried to fit the exhaust together........
    As is clearly visible, there's a problem w/the Q&Q down pipe and the Y-pipe.
    The Q&Q is off of a Blackhawk Donzi boat (502), the Y-pipe is from a 496 (supposedly).
    Is there more than one Y-pipe?
    Can anyone help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

your problem is the manifold is not a center riser, the outlet is actually rearward of center, you need an aluminum center outlet manifold

I know, I know, more moolah $$
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

George,

I would swap the manifolds from side to side and turn the risers around 180 degrees. This should give you the extra couple of inches you need to align the Q&Q and the Y pipe.

See what happens and go from there.

Bob

PS, or what Jim said.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

George the real problem is the manifolds are the wrong color...
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

George,

Meant to ask.... Of this setup, what is original and what is not?

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]I would swap the manifolds from side to side and turn the risers around 180 degrees. This should give you the extra couple of inches you need to align the Q&Q and the Y pipe. [/QUOTE]

Bob's suggestion will put the manifolds in their proper spots. The Gil style manifolds were designed to have the off-center part to be more forward vs. more back like you have them bolted on. I think by swapping them to their proper sides it will hopefully work itself out.

"George,

Meant to ask.... Of this setup, what is original and what is not?

B"

Bob, the manifolds came w/the boat.
    The original risers/tails were dry to the transom.
    So, I bought the risers, which are called Magnum Choice and intended for Q&Q.
    I bought the Q&Q from someone here on this site.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

What Bob said. If not a pair of differet risers like Merc SS but I think Bob is on the $$.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

George, I have a 496 and a 502 Y-pipe. I did a rough measurement and they seem to be identical. The 502 pipe was buried behind my workbench, so I it was tough to be accurate, but I'll try and remember to pull it out tonight and get more accurate measurements.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I am thinking along the lines of what Tilbert said, something else popped into my thoughts. Is the cam you are using any more radical than the Magnum cam, they look a little short which may cause reversion issues.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

No Phil, nothing radical, I picked the cam to work w/this setup.

OK, just as I thought, the manifolds are symmetrical. I thought they were, but I wasn't going to say anything until I tried swapping them. So a picture as it is now, looks just like the picture above.

A couple of things, The Gil setup like this was designed for their Silent Choice diverters. They are significantly different from the Corsa Q&Q that I have. It seems to have a dogleg to correct for the problem geometry. I didn't take this picture, so don't blame me for the for the fuzziness.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

But here's another possible solution;
    Below is a picture of another Gil Magnum Choice manifold and riser currently for sale on eBay.
    You can see in the picture, there's a wedge between the manifold and riser flanges.
    These wedges are available to give some flexibility of adjustment.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

By only adding a wedge, the tail of the diverter ends up below the inlet to the muffler which isn't in itself, a good solution.
    But you can get the down tail to line up w/the Y-pipe.

So, imagine a spacer AND a wedge between the flanges so that all the pipes line up.
    The spacer would have to be about 5/8" thick, and a wedge like in the picture above on top.

Money has always been such an issue w/this project. I really need to figure this out, or just hose the riser to the mufflers.
    As many of you know, gil has gone out of business. Hardin bought the remnants and rights, but they don't seem to be making these diverters, nor are there currently any for sale. Not that I could afford any if they were.

Any comments
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I have a simple solution if you know someone with a tig welder. Carefully cut the downpipe and reclock and weld it to line up with the y-pipe. Thats if you dont find another solution. Thats also assuming the valve is on a vertical axis behind the downpipe as it appears.
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

I don't know if it's the angle or what but your manifolds look like the stock Gil / Merc ones, just like the ebay picture you posted. Those manifolds don't look symmetrical by any stretch.

Hardin makes replacements now and this is how they should look when the manifold and tail are bolted together

420-901030-POL.jpg

As you can see, the end of the standard tail ends before the end of the manifold Vs. your pic and the ebay pic where the tail ends after the manifold because they are bolted pointing off the short side Vs. the long side.

Thread Information