Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about cutting SS braided hose

Question about cutting SS braided hose

Does anyone have an easy way of cutting braided hose? I was thinking about using my chop saw after taping the end. Any other method that does not leave loose wires that are difficult to thread into the fittings? I have been using straight shears, but they are difficult to make the cuts. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Okay, I have zero experience here, just thinking out loud. I'm prepared for the laughing to start at any time.

For starters, is there any way better than just tape to fuse the woven metal in place without destroying what's underneath? A bit like you would with liquid rope whipping before cutting rope? Maybe mask a strip where you'll make the cut, then paint that with epoxy or something?

And/or use a bunch of tape for extra support when making the cut, insert a well-fitted dowel inside the hose, and then crank down some hose clamps immediately on the sides of the spot you'll cut? (To get the dowel in, you might need to do a rough cut with bolt cutters or something, then do a second, finished cut.)

And of course, cut with something very fine, like a high-speed grinding disc.

(Trying to think of anything that will help immobilize the woven metal, and pull on the individual strands as little as possible during the cutting process. What do the pros do, laser-cut it?)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

You need to buy the "Braided hose" cutting tool. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900040.
    I used to use a die grinder w/carbide wheel - the snap-on thin ones with tape. Bought the cutting tool. Works great!

I use a band saw with a very fine toothed metal blade. It must be sharp to keep from grabbing braid.
    I like to wrap the ss braid in fiber tape (strapping tape).

But your going to poke your fingers a dozen time anyways.
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

We use a die grinder also for 3/4" and less with a carbide cutoff wheel. As SamIam says Summit Racing sells a tool for around 40 bucks. I like the die grinder much better, the cut is better.
    Either way we wrap with duct tape before cutting. No need to put anything inside the hose. Blow out the hose with Brake Kleen and high pressure air.

Tape it up tight of course and then cut it with a hack saw with two blades on it oriented opposite ways. It works great.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Tape the hose where the cut is to be. Then use a carbide cut off wheel in a 4-1/4" rt. angle grinder.

My local Aeroquip dealer tapes the hose and uses a chop saw. The chop saw may have a cut off wheel mounted in it.
    I've not personally seen it.

Bill, I also trimmed any loose ends w/a bench grinder.
    Patience.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I duct tape the end and cut it with my 4 1/2" DeWalt angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade. I trim the duct tape and leave 1/2" on the end and insert the hose into the fitting. Put the fitting in the padded jaws of the vice and insert the end.
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

Thanks guys - . Apparently there are quite a few methods you guys have been using. I will do a practice cut with my chop saw and report the results. I was a little surprised at the 2 hacksaw blades in opposite directions, but stranger things have worked. If the chop saw does not work, I will probably order one of the cutting tools from Summit - that sure sounds easy if it cuts the ends perfectly- Years ago I remember using an angle grinder, but it had the thick cutting wheel that did not do a very good job for me since it was hand held. Thanks again, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

In the WAY back machine I used my Makita 10" miter saw with a cement blade, and plumbed entire fuel system in a 289 Cobra clone. Got some pics somewhere.
    Don't forget to use lube when assembling the hose to the fitting, WD40 works fine. What kind of fittings?

I usually use a cut off wheel, but once at work used my buddy's method of a very sharp cold chisel and a large hammer. Actually worked very well.

Chop saw will work fine just electical tape it tight and cut it quick.

If you turn the blade around backwards in the chop saw, it'll cut the braided hose much better.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I used my chop saw with an abrasive wheel to see how it worked. Here is the interesting thing. At first I used 3M blue plastic tape tightly wrapped around the ss braided hose with poor results. I followed by wrapping with the 3M green tape (without the plastic) - it worked great! Apparently, the plastic gets so hot that it looses any strength. There were very few loose wires after I sawed it so I went to the bench grinder as George suggested. Bingo! This process can be done in no time so I suppose I will be using this method. I think it might be possible to get even better results with silver duct tape that has the thin metal as the strength material, but I didn't have any at my shop to try. Anyway, I wanted to pass this along. If the cutting tool that Summit sells works well, it would probably be the easiest since there would be no cleanup of the inside of the hose. Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill,
    That cut looks perfect. The thread reinforced duct tape will definately help, you shouldn't need to go to the grinder.
    Be aware that 99 percent of the tools sold by Summit & Jegs are made in China, my opinion, they may work for a few installs.
    But they are basically throw away junk. Just my opinion. Pic below done with the chop saw as you described and duct dape. Like anything else, the more you do it, you pick up little tricks. Shooter

Thread Information