Thread: Steering

Steering

Getting ready to order a full hydraulic steering system for my Minx. Most of the systems are priced within a couple hundred dollars of each other. Is there a preferred system? Any thing to stay away from from previous installs?

Steve

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
    Really? Nobody has messed with their steering?

Katana, as a past owner of a Minx, I never felt I needed a full hydraulic system with the stock small block.

If you have a big block or see speeds way north of the stock 60-62, then I would probably spring for a full hydraulic system.

I did install a Zeiger full system on my 22, but that runs 74-75.

Ken

+1 for Zieger. I have a full system in my '76 2+3 which runs 75mph. I wouldn't want to do over 60 without hydraulic steering.
    DUNESMAN

I don't think Zieger does an Alpha mount. I think Latham does as well as Imco.

It's a good first step if you are planning on adding a bunch of power, but if you are adding a bunch of power I think I'd opt for the bravo drive first and get a bravo add on Vs. the Alpha add on.

Thanks for the reply. Running a steady 68 on gps, with a 377ci 325 hp. The helm is very sloppy and needs to be replaced along with the cable. Think I have a line on a alpha ss. That would put me in range of full hydraulic. I couldnt stand the play in my old 10 meter fountain with the factory add on cylinders. I had an older magnum sport I switched over to hynautic, that system worked great. Wish it was still available.

katana, I also ran an Alpha S/S....it did absolutly nothing for me except suck up every weed in the first 100 feet from my boat house.

I saw nothing in speed gains, but mine was stock. Maybe running the speeds you are there might be benifit from the shorter gearcase.

Ken

You can still put together a Hynautic system. Most of the pieces are availalble on ebay occasionally.
    You'd really only need a single Hynautic K5b cylinder on an Alpha.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

It appears that there isn't an alpha kit from Ziegler. I would call Paul Everret for good measure though.

http://www.everettperformance.com/Ze...Drive_Kits.asp
    DUNESMAN

I may have to fabricate a bracket for the alpha, but thats no big deal. In Michigan, plenty of time now.

Chachi, did you put the ss on a minx? What speeds were you running before hand?

My opinion / best guess is the Minx needs to be set up like the 20 foot Cigs are.

I don't think any of the Minx's have been set up the same way... basically, with the extension box and set up to run high out of the water and flat.

The reason why I mention it is you may be able to find a used setback box with a lift for pretty reasonable and some of them have steering integrated in some way. It also might be worth a call to LipShip to pick their brains

katana, yes I installed the S/S on my stock Minx. The ran 60-62 before the install and 60-62 after the install.

As I mentioned, it did suck up every weed for the first 100 feet out of my boathouse.

Ken

I spoke to Paul Everett and ordered the zeiger full system. Great guy to talk to, very helpful. Will be about two weeks to to get it. 65 degrees in Michigan tomorrow so it looks like I'm taking my last ride with old steering and smaller tabs.

Steve

Thread Information