Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 18' vs 22'

18' vs 22'

I've been hunting for a 22' for a few weeks now and may pull the trigger soon. Ran into an old friend that was running his 18 last weekend. He told me he just sold his 22 and thought that his 18 runs the rough just as good and is a much better value being that it runs 70 with just a stock small block. I also heard from another fellow tonight telling me the same.
    I did own a 1975 18 classic back in the mid 90s and moved up to a 20 Minx after. I thought those 2 boats ran about the same but 2' is not a big difference.
    Thoughts on the 18 vs the 22?

The answer is, 'How big is your lake, or bay, or ocean?"
    Your friend was speaking for himself.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

It does not run just the same. You feel more secure in a 22.

That being said....I would NOT sell my 18. It drives like a crazy go cart on steroids and I don't even have one of the fast ones.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Pat,

I agree with all the above comments. If you can describe where you wish to boat I think people can better answer your question. And since you had an 18, all you need to know is about 22Cs will handle the water.

Somewhere around here I *think* I recall a pretty good thread on this subject, but I didn't search enough to find it. Maybe use go-cart as a keyword. EDIT: I just tried that and didn't find it.

Regards,

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

My first experience with a Donzi was driving my friends 18 equipped with a 455 Olds Berkeley Jet combination. Quite a few years later I was fortunate enough to purchase my own Donzi, a 20' Minx.

Personally, I thought the 18' was more fun to drive and, like others have said, felt like a go cart. The Minx didn't provide the same feeling to speed although I did prefer how the Minx gave the feeling of sitting in the boat as compared to the 18 which felt like I was sitting on the boat.

Never driven in a 22' but, I would imagine it would handle rough water a little better than the 18'

I have had both. They both move fast but the extra four feet and higher freeboard make a huge difference in rough water. There are alot of other differences also, like workspace in the engine compartment.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

You really cannot compare the handling of a Berkeley/Olds 455 jet drive Donzi 18 to a more common I/O drive 18
    We had a jet drive Donzi X-18 for three years and it is best used as a fairly flat water~ bay or lake boat. It will handle very well in that application.
    If you use the Donzi 18 hull in big rough choppy waters the I/O 18, or V-Drive 18 is what you really need.
    A jet drive, V-Drive, and I/O drive on the Donzi 18 rounded keel hull all ride & handle quite differently.
    I have no seat time in a Donzi 22 to compare it to the Donzi 18 I/O however.
    Last edited by silverghost; 10-25-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Thumbs up Thank you for the replies, keep them comming...

We do 80-90% of our boating on the CT River and 10-20% in LI Sound so I believe it will be better to have the larger boat.
    I've not ridden in a 22' Classic yet, but I've owned a 24' Pantera and a 24' Superboat. Guessing the ride is simmilar being the a 22' Donzi is only 10" shorter (22'8" vs 23'6"). Thoughts?
    How about towing the kids around on a tube or pulling a skier? I know the 18' Classic is great for these activities, but I'm thinking the 22' is too big for skiing. I tried skiing behind my Pantera and the wake was too big at 30mph.

the 22 is going to have a more on the boat feel than a superboat 24 and pantera 24 which are standup/sit down boats. the 18 will feel like a 300 hp surfboard compared to the 24s.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

my limited time behind the wheel of a 22 felt sluggish in response and feel compared to it's smaller siblings. not to say it was slow to respond just not as quick but having that longer nose and more stable platform will add a ton comfort when out on the sound when it kicks up.

I am sure with a little work you could get the 22 to be setup for water sports , a prop designed more for planning and pulling over top end , tabs would help get on plane and keep the nose down going slower while tubing and a longer rope might also help
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have had both a 20' MINX and I now own a 22. I boat on the St.Lawrence River, and I can tell you, when that water kicks up, I want a 38'.

Ask Mike O about the SLR kicking up in a small boat.

Ken

[ QUOTE=Chachi]
    I have had both a 20' MINX and I now own a 22. I boat on the St.Lawrence River, and I can tell you, when that water kicks up, I want a 38'.

Ask Mike O about the SLR kicking up in a small boat.

Ken [/QUOTE]

can I get an Amen on that
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Hi Pat,
    This is Tom from wallingford we spoke on the phone at lenth about the suprs. I have an 05 22 classic 496 HO and use it on Gardner lake in salem . I don't want to kill anything here but a 22 classic is NOT ideal for towing tubes or skiing just because there is not a ladder or pad on the hatch not that you couldn't add one. I;ve had it on the river a time or two and it handles it OK with big cruisers and such. Your welcome to go look at it for reference at OP anytime.

All depends as stated above on your objective, with that said I love the 18 for many reasons.

1) it is more responsive than the 22's but that also requires you to really drive them, more the seat of the pants style.

2) It's been my expereience that speed is much different in the 2 above mentioned boats 18 vs 22 90 to me in a 22 felt like 55 in the 18 you just dont feel the speed in the 22 as you do in the 18.

3) the 22 is more of a sporty 4 door with a hemi as the 18 is, well more like a 2 door sports car, the 22 is more forgiving and you don't have to be as quick on your gane as the 18.

4) Fun factor IMO hands down if you correctly set up your 18 it will be off the chart fun, not taking anything away from the 22's but the 18's are a complete blast to fly and throw around.

5) In rougher water the 22 will do better no doubt the 18 requires a little man handeling in rougher water and is a bit rougher ride.

6) Freeboard the 18 & 16 you feel as tho your riding ON top of the boat where as the 22 you have more of a down IN the boat feel, can be a little un nerving for some in the 18 at higher speeds or in rougher water.

7) Cockpit, no doubt more room in the 22's over the 18's if your a bigger guy the 16 & 18's are a little tight for some and space to stow things. With all that said did I mention I LOVE my 18 and like 18 will never part with her, I boat on a few smaller lakes and also boat at at lake of the ozarks and do 2 oker runs a year there but I'm a little crazy for most. Drive both and decide for yourself I don't think you could go wrong either way good luck with your search.

Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Quote Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
    How about towing the kids around on a tube or pulling a skier? I know the 18' Classic is great for these activities, but I'm thinking the 22' is too big for skiing. I tried skiing behind my Pantera and the wake was too big at 30mph.

zzzzzz brings up an excellent point for ALL the classics. Getting back into the boat is difficult at best. DONZI owners being mostly a meticulous group keep things beautifully polished and waxed. As such, climbing up the outdrive onto the hatch to get back into the boat is what I would call a “high risk” action.

If you are going to try and haul someone into the cockpit over the side, the lower freeboard of an 18 will make that task somewhat easier.

But remember, the 16, 18 & 22 are all 24 degree deadrise hulls, and as such are going to make quite a wake. I guess it depends on WHO (young kids, teens, young adults?) you are pulling, and on what.

The last item to remember is that the Classics are designed as performance sport boats. They perform that task very well. However, on board storage is NOT a strong point (Carl C as a notable exception). If you are working from a dock, or another boat that can “store” all the water toys when not in use, great. If you are going to have to haul stuff around with you, none of the Classics will do that very well.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thread Information