Thread: Volvo 250 is getting wet

Volvo 250 is getting wet

For years, I've realized that my old 1969 250 outdrive has been taking on a little bit of water. I never considered it a big deal. The old girl doesn't get out much, so it's no big deal to change the oil whenever we're finished using her. Interestingly, I never see evidence that oil is leaking out. If that were the case, I wouldn't continue running it.
    But now I'm seeing something I haven't noticed before. When the boat is on the trailer (even weeks after running it), I see water coming from the area where the exhaust would typically enter the outdrive (I have through hull exhaust, so this area is partially visible). I've never seen this before, since it usually would only drain at the very bottom. Although the boat has never seen saltwater, I suspect there may be some corrosion that I can't see.
    Has anyone experienced this, and could this be the source of water entering into the outdrive. My guess is that it's two seperate issues.

Thanks for your opinion,

Dave
    DaveO.

David,

I am assuming this is a 250 that gets it water thru the drive?

look at the two pictures I have posted one shows the exhaust port which on thru hull only boats has a block off plate in the transom housing, and no cap on the drive end where the exhaust bellows would go. the other picture shows the water intake from the drive which is directly above the exhaust port . The exhaust and the water intake are sperated by the suspension fork. there should be a hose connected from the water intake ( actually output from the drive to the motor) to the transom plate or in the case of a motor that has a transom or hull water pick up this may be capped off

the water is either trapped in the exhaust chamber of the drive or the water intake chamber is leaking into the exhaust chamber.

what kind of torque fin do you have? if it is the combo exhaust flapper/fin any water in the exhaust chamber should drain out the bottom, if there is a solid fin or block off plate there it needs to have holes drilled in it to let water escape .

sorry for the shakey lines also note this is a 280 drive but the same applies to a 250

BTW water in the drive oil could be from something as simple as a bad gasket seal on the dipstick or fill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sincere thanks for the reply and graphical explanation. I think you've convinced me that the two issues are not related. No doubt there is a weak seal or other means that water is entering. What is perplexing to me is that no oil escapes. Go figure....
    DaveO.

David,

yes I wasn't to clear but the two are most likely not related.

my 280T when I got it had water in the oil I replaced both seals on the fill and dipstick and problem solved. I would think the dipstick is the culprit.

I would replace them both and see.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information