Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dewey's New Project

Dewey's New Project

I'll move my post from "Posting Help" post to something more appropriate.

Well, my daughter and I got her home last night after running around town looking for the right trailer ball. She pulled really nice on the dual axle trailer. I was a little concerned about getting her in our narrow driveway but now she looks like she belongs there.

JL - Beautiful looking boat you have there. I hope this one cleans up half as well.
    Buizilla - I'll check the original outdrive S/N, the gear is stripped, but it came with the boat. The HM tag is long gone from the bell housing and I don't believe I'll be pulling the starter anytime soon for block numbers.

The PO had a folder of original Donzi marketing posters and advertisements that came with the boat. I'll scan or take some pictures of them if anyone is interested. They also had a copy of the HM booklet that came with the boat with all the engine specs along with Donzi price sheets for 1967 and a couple of other years. Pretty neat.

My first order of buisiness is to flush out the fuel tank. I was planning on slushing some gas around in there and pumping it back out. Has anyone ever pressure tested one? I made a pressure tester when I plumbed some new gas line to my barbeque, fire pit and pool heater. I was thinking I could pressurize the tank with some low pressure air and see if she holds. Thoughts?

The PO had some recent work done to the boat including a water pump, fuel pump and one exhaust manifold (so I have one OSCO and one HM). Not sure why they didn't just do both. She starts and runs pretty nice. A little hesitant on the revs, but I'm sure the carb just needs a good cleaning.

Next is to see if I can get some color and shine back into the hull. Plan on using some 3M Super Duty and Finesse.
    Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

judging by the setup scripts but lion and dolphin decals plus the horizontal dash plate, I would say the boat is a 68 maybe early 69 which means if the tank is original , the tank is a terne steel tank and needs to be replaced. as will any pre ethanol rubber in the fuel lines.

HM parts can still be had but certain parts are very hard to find . you are going to want to address the exhaust new center risers can be found at a reasonable price. check ebay as well for a 250 or 270 drive leg in a a V8 ratio

you can check these guys for volvo parts

check our resource page for volvo penta dealers

and also a holman moody specs manual

good luck on the project
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Found these numbers on what I believe to be the original drive.

13771 - upper part
    25065 - lower

Got all the gauges except the fuel gauge working tonight in addition to the lights. Pulled out the bimini top and it looks brand new.

Found these with all the boat paperwork.

Donzi 16 Ad_0001d.jpgDonzi 16 Ad_0002d.jpgDonzi 16 Ad_0003d.jpgDonzi 16 Ad_0004d.jpg
    Patrick

Patrick

Patrick

cool stuff!

neat stuff.

those numbers don't really help but a volvo 250 serial number with a 6 after the zero would place it about mid 69 they made a few in that color combo and the 16 left the factory unrigged more than any other model so you are going to have get up under the deck and look for black marker. look at them from all angles they may be upside down sideways look at the bow eye backing plate with a flashlight the numbers were usually there as well as the dash
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I can't make heads or tails out of the numbers on the dash. Looks like 710-11 to me!

DSC_5229.jpg
    Patrick

check up by the bow eye backing plate, sometimes the numbers on the dash were incomplete or hard to read after holes were cut and the rigging was added

710 would make it a mid to late 70's boat and then it would have a HIN on the transom have you checked there just incase?, but judging from the setup as I mentioned earlier this looks to be a boat from the end of the teleflex ownership to the begining of the full Chisholm ownership 68-69

here is what the bow eye numbers look like they were written before the boat was put together and someone just reached over and wrote them however their arm landed. I was up tightening these bolts at least 4 times and never saw the numbers, they are sideways 16-410
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

the red box looks like it contains the number 16 the first mark is straight and the next mark is slanted like a 6 would be perhaps it is being hidden by the cable clamp and a dash just outside the box to the left.

the green box looks to have more black marker lines possibly a number or part of a number that was cut out for the dash plate

the blue box holds what looks like 710 ( hull 710 would not be handwritten it would be embedded in the transom) but could be something else , need to look at it from all angles. the bow eye would be my next step

hope that helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

welp..

from our original factory library files (www.donzi.org) we know that partial drive #25063 was on hull #546, we also know that partial drive #25064 was on hull #550, both built early 1969... so, we're getting warm

partial drive # 25065 showing up on hull # 710 would be a big spread of sequence builds

we also know that there were 26 yellow / black hulls built with HM engines in that era

if your paperwork reflects the selling dealer , we can zoom in on what your looking for
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Is this the original layout for the interior?

DSC_5236.jpg
    Patrick

Original layout? Yes. All Ski Sporters had the L-seating (to facilitate the spotter). I happen to like it but others prefer the 2 + 3 layout which wasn't offered on a 16 until 30+ years later.

That is not the original helm or the original seatbacks. The seat bottoms might be original, but I can't tell for sure

Should look like this. BTW - my helm is not original either but it is Donzi OEM. The L-seats are original. BTW - love the chrome rear view window on your boat. I have the same one but haven't figured out where (if) to mount it now that my windshield is off.

Lake George 2009 031.jpg

Thanks JL,

What is that in the center of your rear seat? Vent? What year did they incorporate it? I like the 3 section seat backs. I'm sure they are easier to install. I'm going to have a set made and I think I'll have them do the 3 sections backs and 2 section bottoms. I'm going to copy Bill's velcro on the seat backs but keep the snaps on the bottoms. I can remove the snaps on the tops and cover over the holes with velcro. I don't think the bottoms would be as clean an install. If I ever paint it, I'll fill everything in and go full velcro mode.
    Patrick

The fitting in the center of the rear seat is the aft companion of the fitting in the front of the cockpit where you have the mirror mounted. Originally there was a two piece aluminum tube that sleeved together and once attached fore and aft, ran the length of the cockpit. Once the tonneau was snapped on over it would keep the rain puddles from pooling.

I don't have a very good picture - but this gives you an idea.....

2007 LGDC Dust-off 024.jpg

Thread Information