Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting 18 classic model

Interesting 18 classic model

very cool indeed.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

It bugs me how the self-proclaimed wizzards of smart continually refer to the "Sweet 16" as the one that started it all.

The 16 wasn't referred to as a Sweet 16 until it was reintroduced in 1990. Up to that point it was the Ski-Sporter.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Interesting, but the proportions look a little off.

Not as nice as the Ski Sporter model at Mystic IMO http://www.proboat.com/1969-donzi-sk...e-replica.html . Probably a lot cheaper though.....

INRE: Sweet 16 vs. Ski Sporter - Amen, Bill!

Very nice model. I like it. I also like the description of the early racers as "legendary heroes"!!

It actually looks more like a 22' than an 18'. If it's an 18' then the dash is wrong, the chine is too low near the bow, the gas filler is too far back, the seats are wrong, the ski tray is missing, and the windshield is from an earlier era than the stern drive. If it's in fact a model of a 22', only the windshield is anachronistic.
    All those errors aside, it's the best (and only) model of a classic 18' Donzi I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm a terrible critic and a classic Donzi snob. I admit it.
    Eric

Eric,
    Look at this one. Jay posted earlier and I think you missed. This one is perfect...Paul Herzan had this one done.
    http://www.proboat.com/1969-donzi-sk...e-replica.html

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Yeah, I saw that one, Scott. LOTTA man-hours went into that Ski Sporter. That's what I call a labor of love.
    It seems as if the steering wheel and dash from the red Ski Sporter was adapted for use in the yellow "18".

Eric

jeez it's a model , guys LOL

they quoted fiberclassics.com, perhaps someone should reach out to them to update their info on Donzi.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't nice, Matty. In fact I would buy one if it were reasonably priced (although I don't see a price on the website or even any indication whether it's mass produced and available for sale, or is somebody's scratch built one-off).
    What I am saying is that I don't understand why someone went to so much trouble to make such a nice model then gloss over the details, when with just a little bit of research, they could have made it 100% accurate.

Just sayin'
    Eric

Eric,

I actually had a good chuckle at the "the eye for detail " everyone has and how quick they jumped on it. As someone who has tried get the facts out from the fiction or urban legend. oh it's all good sort of like a "yes grasshopper" moment
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Yeah, someone needs to find out how much and if Donzi.net people get a discount.
    GeneD
    Formerly of Melbourne, Florida
    Permanent Resident of St. Petersburg, Florida
    1966 Classic 18-2+3

----Eric,,,While the Taylor Made windshield is a bit old school they were available for years and years and did a lot better job doing what a windshield is supposed to do than the tiny, low later model 3 piece 22 wanabe windshields! They were also better looking to me. Ill get off my soapbox now........Bill S

I'm sure you're right about that, Bill. In my minds eye I associate the Taylor Made windshields more with barrel backs. I haven't seen many (if any) bevel backs with the high windshields.

I have this same problem with music; I haven't got an original thought in my head, only wrote a handful of compositions, but I can point out someone playing a wrong note from across town. I'm a HORRIBLE critic.

Eric

Actually, I believe it may have been mislabeled. If they were going for a 22' Classic with a Hornet windshield, I'd say they nailed it.

Eric

Thread Information