Thread: gelcoat

gelcoat

Getting ready to regell my 82 18 2+3. anyone know the official Donzi red color? Can I buy it mixed and from who?
    Thanks,
    wmcadow

I wouuld encourage anyone to think long and hard about such an undertaking.
    But to answer your request, here's the link to Minicraft of Florida:
    http://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
    They offer what you ask for.

But before you start ordering, take a look at these threads;
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...serious/page15

And even though I list this thread last, read it first:
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...lcoat-problems
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George I'm curious, I reread your thread but could not tell.Did you shoot in one shot to the thickness you needed? When I did some parts for my boat I made the mistake of getting my gel from minicraft with the wax already in. Some parts I did mulitple coats but had to clean and sand between because of the wax. If I were to do it again I would get the wax to put in seperate for the final coat. Here are some pic's of my last shoot,I had to repair the gunnel where the old morse control was on my HM powered Correct Craft. I was getting real low on the gel that I matched to the boat and as you know the gun takes alot of gel to spray a little. So I brushed it on several times sanding between and on the final coat with the gun, I added 25% Duratec hi gloss additive also. On a side note, I have had a Kinetico water softener for over 25 years. I liked it so much that when we moved I switched the cheap softener in the newer house with the Kinetico from the old house!

100_0996.jpg100_1013.jpg100_1033.jpg

I added the wax myself to each cup as it’s cheaper that way. I waited until it was tacky and sprayed another coat until I reached the desired thickness.
    Since you added the Duratec gloss enhancer, you negated the need for wax, but, since the Duratec is clear, it requires more material for proper coverage.
    Rolling and brushing will work but requires extra sanding, The real secret to good coverage is a good gun w/a 2.0-2.5 mm tip. I finally improved my spraying technique to where I could start sanding w/400 paper.
    A word about red gel, since white and light colors are blended w/white titanium powder in the gel, it gives a very dense surface. Dark colors, like red when mixed w/white turn pink, the advantage of the denser light colored gels is gone. Hence, dark colors, red in particular, are blended w/only the dark colored pigments, with red requiring the most and is the most expensive. Not only does the gel cost quite a bit more, but it requires probably 30% more gel to get the same density. It may cost nearly 100% more to do a red gel job.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Gary, I’m glad you like your Kinetico.
    It’s not unusual, even here in Florida where they sit outside, for them to last 25 years or more. Combined w/no electrical parts to fail, and about 75-80% lower salt usage, they’re hard to beat, even though they’re not the least expensive systems on the block.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

they’re hard to beat, even though they’re not the least expensive systems on the block

Most times, the cheapest way out is the most expensive way in.

Ken

Just a word of warning on your project. I have an all red TR and recently had some dock scars fixed and had some issues matching up the Minicraft Donzi Red. I am fortunate enought to know the best glass guy in my area and he mentioned the original color was a tad milky and he had to add orange to get a perfect match. Just a heads up as it was not an exact blow and go deal for me. I think I was into a pint of the stuff for $100 + by the time it hit my doorstep. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I wouuld encourage anyone to think long and hard about such an undertaking.
    But to answer your request, here's the link to Minicraft of Florida:
    http://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
    They offer what you ask for.

But before you start ordering, take a look at these threads;
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...serious/page15

And even though I list this thread last, read it first:
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...lcoat-problems
    Looking to fill a few holes where things have been removed and replaced over the last 45 years. Can I do this with a Gelcoat Patching Paste kit? I always thought the boat was Inca Gold, but I was looking at the Donzi colors on the Mini-Craft site and didn't see it. Is my 1968 Ski Sporter DT261 HONEY BLOND?

Patrick

1968 Donzi Ski Sporter C16-512

Mini Craft-Piranha Kote yellow , is one of the true yellows they used , Inca gold is a totally different color honey blonde is one color too but I don't think it was used in 68

it would be good to have it matched cause the sun has effected whats on the boat

the sting piranha kote yellow walo inca gold

Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by SanDogDewey View Post
    Looking to fill a few holes where things have been removed and replaced over the last 45 years. Can I do this with a Gelcoat Patching Paste kit? I always thought the boat was Inca Gold, but I was looking at the Donzi colors on the Mini-Craft site and didn't see it. Is my 1968 Ski Sporter DT261 HONEY BLOND?
    So I've got kinda the same issue, some dock rash and screw holes to clean up. I can't find the factory blue gelcoat color used and I'm hesitant to order some based on what looks right on my laptop screen. I have the cutouts from the thru-hull exhaust on the workbench as beer coasters. Could I send those to Mini-Craft and have them match the gelcoat? If not, any recommendations? Thanks.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

In that era they also used ferro gel coat I think their color yellow is called Yuma yellow
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

It's been my experence that your not going to get an off the shelf match on a 40+ year old boat. I tried to match mine with the color wheel they have.I thought I had a match,it turned out too light. Sent in a piece so they could do the match,came back too dark but by mixing the two I got it real close. You could sent in your "coaster" to get matched it's is around 100 and you can get some tints to get it close. Matching by far was harder than the actual repair for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    It's been my experence that your not going to get an off the shelf match on a 40+ year old boat. I tried to match mine with the color wheel they have.I thought I had a match,it turned out too light. Sent in a piece so they could do the match,came back too dark but by mixing the two I got it real close. You could sent in your "coaster" to get matched it's is around 100 and you can get some tints to get it close. Matching by far was harder than the actual repair for me.
    Thanks! Mine's a '98 and has been stored indoors since new, so hopefully fading isn't quite as bad as an older boat.

Yellow seems like it might be tough to match, especially 40 y.o. yellow... Good thought about tinting to dial it in. Does the wet gel change color as it dries?

Gelcoat is about the same level of black magic to me as prop selection.
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Gel Coat repairs

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    So I've got kinda the same issue, some dock rash and screw holes to clean up. I can't find the factory blue gelcoat color used and I'm hesitant to order some based on what looks right on my laptop screen. I have the cutouts from the thru-hull exhaust on the workbench as beer coasters. Could I send those to Mini-Craft and have them match the gelcoat? If not, any recommendations? Thanks.
    Matching the color is the challenge. It takes a good eye in good light. We have a really good guy hear at the shop and he just keeps working it till he gets it right. On some colors it might take 2 ttys. The bad news is that the patch will weather differently than the rest of the boat. You can get it to match again with a compounding of the area. The other good news is that in the sun, slight color variations are hard to see.

We use an unpigmented base most of the time.

Patrick,

I had a 68' ski sport that was Inca Gold and it was quite different from your picture. Inca Gold was a darker mustard looking gold not like your bright yellow. Try to get a sample of the Yuma yellow Matty mentioned.

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Thread Information