Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 1970 18 deck split questions...

Got the rotten transom cut out. Will put the boat on the trailer and cut the stringers and bulkheads out next.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

More pics. I got the hull back on the trailer. It's custom made for an 18 Donzi, so it'll work well as a "jig" when I cut the stringers and bulkheads out this weekend.

The deck is staying original gel and has been wet sanded to 600 so far...it's in pretty good shape and should look great when done.

Another photo of the $500 worth of fiberglass stuff I bought. There's a local distributor that was very helpful and will supply the Duratec and gelcoat when I'm ready. HallJ will be helping with stringers and transom...he's got some experience and quite a bit of knowledge...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Stringers and bulkheads cut out...that sucked.

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Transom progress...

Cut the new stringers too...
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Yeah, Cabosil and Adtech 820 laminating epoxy. Hadn't planned on cutting the rest of the glass...will bond with vinyl ester resin. I feel like I'm getting good advice from my friend and the supplier.

Maybe I won't post any more...I've always avoided 'build threads" on internet forums for this very reason.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

That said, I appreciate your advice, I'm just trying not to over think things...I'd never get it done.

I'm sanding the existing glass with 24 grit discs...there should be plenty of mechanical adhesion too.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

You'll be fine!........looks great!
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Do not stop posting photos & text updates of your retoration progress.
    I , and am sure many other forum members & readers, are very interested in seeing these sort of restoration threads and posts.

I was invovled in the exact same rotted stringer & transom wood re-core job on my benchseat 18 just this past summer.

It looks like you have the job well in hand.
    Last edited by silverghost; 10-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Looks great, and I’m impressed by how clean your working area is.

I did the same thing when I replaced my stringers. I left the inner section of fiberglass, and laminated new marine plywood too it. I used West System Epoxy for everything, and it is solid as a rock.

It is looking great!
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Aaron

one thing for sure it is great when someone takes the time to take and post pictures and detail their project! it is the backbone of this forum and helps so many members with the care and maint of their classic.

today there are more options and methods due to new materials and knowledge gained from time with older methods

of course the differences have supporters and detractors but you have to be able to read thru that and let some of the bullsheet fall by the wayside.you need to find the right methods that will work for you and your project.

you now have more time and thought than was put into that boat than the guy who built it.
    Do you think the guy who built it thought it would be around 40+ years later?

I am positive that when you get thru with it it will last way more than 40 yrs

keep up the good work and keep the pics coming
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Aaron,

Leaving the outer stringer skin in place then bonding the wood to it while glassing up and over to the side of the stringer skin is superior to cutting the whole thing out. Why? This method will put one of the secondary bonds in shear and one in peal.
    Given the same surface area, a bond put in shear is stronger than one in peal. If you were to cut the whole thing out and and glass over the stringer, both secondary bonds would be in peal and therefore not as strong. That's a fact no religion or politics involved.

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

Roger That

+1 You do very nice work and keep the pictures coming, I enjoy reading and seeing what members are doing with their boats and your project looks great.

Thanks guys. I just get wound up because it's very easy for me to second guess myself on stuff I've never done before. Fixx has a lot of experience and I have to respect that...have to.

That said...Hallj did tests before he did his Donzi and the wood came apart before the bond...

Matty said it well too. When I get done, this boat will be better than it ever was from Donzi. I restore old Porsches and my customers always ask when doing a ground up resto, 'Will it rust again?'...my response is that the car has more and better paint (chemicals) on it than when it left the factory. Plus you won't be driving it the way they were back when nobody gave a $hit about these things...

Anyway...back to fixing this pile.

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Dont worry about all the "Experts" ........Keep the pictures coming! Love these posts on restorations.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Jeff and I got the lower transom honeycomb put in last night...progress! Hopefully, we'll glass the transom this weekend.

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Thread Information