Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: 1970 18 deck split questions...

Do yourself a favor and get a aluminum plate behind the bow cleat. If you have to drag the boat on the trailer for some reason the bolts will sink in the wood and loosen it letting water in. I also put in a battery shelf (16's don't have one) and a shelf for the trim pump. I really think my best idea was to put in a piece of PVC pipe so I can run the fuel line in it so it wont sag. Any boat I have taken apart had the fuel line held to the stringers with wire looms but they all break over time. Never have to worry about that again. Some winglets like you have done and some wood where the trailer tie downs are in the transom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I also doubled up the stringers for the first 4 feet or so off the transom by just glassing in another piece of wood on top of the original (my stingers were good). Just gives a little more beef to hang the motor on.
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    I also doubled up the stringers for the first 4 feet or so off the transom by just glassing in another piece of wood on top of the original (my stingers were good). Just gives a little more beef to hang the motor on.

As one of the better posters on OSO said a long time ago when looking in the bilge of an 18c .. 'Those things look like graham crackers !" lol

Actually , the entire bottom could use reinforcing . They weren't exactly the most 'solidly built boats' around.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I really think my best idea was to put in a piece of PVC pipe so I can run the fuel line in it so it wont sag. Any boat I have taken apart had the fuel line held to the stringers with wire looms but they all break over time. Never have to worry about that again.
    I ran a pvc pipe to run hydraulic steering lines in. Just a thought if you're contemplating it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywhale View Post
    I ran a pvc pipe to run hydraulic steering lines in. Just a thought if you're contemplating it.
    Hydraulic steering????? It's a 1966, I'm lucky I don't have to hang a oar off the side. lol.

Hydraulic steering????? It's a 1966, I'm lucky I don't have to hang a oar off the side. lol.

Out of curiosity , you pulled that thing well apart but did you ever find any numbers anywhere , and where were they ?

on the underside of the front deck between the instrument cluster and the fuel fill.

on the underside of the front deck between the instrument cluster and the fuel fill.
    Thanks . I'm always curious about this vintage because mine is supposedly the same but despite looking over every inch of every surface I could find none .
    Sometimes I wonder if it's maybe a '65 . Wasn't there a short period when none of them had any numbers at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Thanks . I'm always curious about this vintage because mine is supposedly the same but despite looking over every inch of every surface I could find none .
    Sometimes I wonder if it's maybe a '65 . Wasn't there a short period when none of them had any numbers at all ?
    Maybe the first couple ...maybe......but they had to keep track of inventory some how and that's the only reason there is any numbers on any boat prior to 1972. I bet you are going to have a hard time finding them even if I was to point to them for you. I have mine cut out and on a coffee table in my basement. Without a true white light and photo shop I would have never figured them out. It also took about 10 pictures at different angles so the light would reflect differently. One picture would confirm one number and then another would confirm another and so forth.
    While pulling up a picture to show you it dawned on me a clue that may help you. Notice the fiberglass cloth over the roven. They put the cloth over the numbers to protect the magic marker they ID'ed the hull with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (1,018.9 KB, 46 views)

Looking at it straight on you can hardly see the #'s ......standing back 10' you can make them out.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Maybe the first couple ...maybe......but they had to keep track of inventory some how and that's the only reason there is any numbers on any boat prior to 1972. I bet you are going to have a hard time finding them even if I was to point to them for you. I have mine cut out and on a coffee table in my basement. Without a true white light and photo shop I would have never figured them out. It also took about 10 pictures at different angles so the light would reflect differently. One picture would confirm one number and then another would confirm another and so forth.
    While pulling up a picture to show you it dawned on me a clue that may help you. Notice the fiberglass cloth over the roven. They put the cloth over the numbers to protect the magic marker they ID'ed the hull with.
    Thanks to my exposure here I had seen many variations of the marking pen under the glass . I even looked all over the deck area for a spot that might have once had the foil tag stuck to it for years and thus been less 'sun burned' , but nothing .

The only pen marking of any sort was found in the bilge and I think it was nothing more than directions on where to cut the bulk cloth for layup .

Bear in mind that it's a St T and the deck is very different than the other 'Cs' (and there was nothing in the console either)

Thread Information