Thread: question about oil dipsticks and oil changes

question about oil dipsticks and oil changes

OMC 454 that came out had the oil dipstick attached to a fitting at the bottom of the oil pan. The GenVI marine crate going in has a provision for a traditional dipstick ...also of course has a drain plug at the bottom.

I am thinking about the oil changes I'll be doing. On the sailboat and diesel powered engine I just use a vacuum pump and drain through the dipstick. (very infrequent oil changes since it is a VERY low hour motor.

Likely I'll change the oil with the same vaccum pump on the Donzi and it's BBC engine. Wondering if it is worth the effort to put together the oil dipstick with adapter to the bottom of the pan at the drain plug or just go with the easy dipstick tube and then hope that I get a complete oil change with the vaccum pump through the dipstick tube.

Any have any strong thoughts on this?

Easy thing to do is for me to use a traditional dipstick tube and assembly like the one below.
    oil tube.JPG
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

My 502 had a stándard marine dipstick setup such as you are showing. I used the dipstick one day to change the oil, then pullud the drain plug to see what was left. I got about 6 tablespoons out of the plug. Needless to say, I have no problem using the dipstick tube. The tube goes to the bottom of the pan.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thanks Bob,

Good to know.
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

You can always install one of those drain plug tubes but I to have found the dipstick tube to work fine as long as there is only oil in there and you can get it warm first.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Thread Information