Thread: bellhousing cover - Am I missing something?

bellhousing cover - Am I missing something?

Hey guys I'm a little curious about something. The OMC Manual as well as the parts supply catalog specifically state that the belhousing cover requires 7 screws.

One can see in the diagram that their are 8 holes in both the cover and the gasket. If I only need 7 of the screws then what fills the other hole and which hole is it? Is there something else that bolts to the belhousing? ...am wondering if maybe a ground wire or something gets attached or if there should be a stud or something in one of the spots that I need to intall.

I could just button it all up with 8 screws but would really like to know if I am missing something.

-just for clarification it is a '93 OMC 454 -now 502 King Cobra
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Is one for a dowel pin?
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's strictly for dirt exclusion.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thanks George, I think I'll not worry about it anymore and move on to something else fun like sanding the paint off the bottom of the engine block where the starter makes contact -pretty sure that is a ground connection.

Anyway, I have 7 screws in bell housing cover and don't even think I'll worry about the 8th.
    Also, I kind of screwed up and dropped the motor in before I had the cover back from the blast booth so am installing it with the engine in the boat so getting a torque wrench in there to torque to the 48-60 in. lbs per the service manual was going to damn near impossible too. -tight enough will have to do.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Thread Information