Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trailer aluminum vs steel

2013 Cigarette 39 Top Gun Unlimited...

Some where in the neighborhood of $700K. You think I could get Scott Shogren to keep that welded aluminum trailer? I don't think it would make the trip from Chicago to Detroit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that does suck cause those are all nice boats
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

After a quick online shopping trip...

I found almost two million dollars of very nice, and very desirable offshore inventory sitting on welded-aluminum trailers that could fail at any moment. Thanks for allowing me to dream a little on this hot summer afternoon. Have fun on the water!

I know Shea...

I don't understand how Pier 57 became one of the largest offshore performance dealers in the world and still gets away with putting trailers under their stuff that could let their customers down at any time. You would think they would be out of business by now. It must be a conspiracy.

Very cool boat pics, thanks for posting ............I'd still go bolted aluminum as my preference for an 18 Classic though
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

It's a concept known as "graceful failure". In a bolted application you will be forwarned of potential problems via the exact noise/noises that have been mentioned as well as visual inspection. You can remedy a bolt in the field with no struggle and then perform a proper fix at home. When you hit that pothole and a weld cracks you have far fewer options. It is an all or nothing moment as we all know. For my money, in a small boat/trailer application I'd rather have as many choices for repair as possible even if you do have to check all the bolts at the start of each season.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Todd, I'm sure a well built welded aluminum trailer can be a good investment.
    I just don't know if a shopper gets a 30%-50% better trailer for the 30%-50%
    increase in price. As I said, I'd consider one but it would have to be a deal and
    not cost me any more.
    I can also understand why high end boats would use welded trailers, as the
    percentage of value in the trailer as a percentage of the total package is much smaller.

In the size and value of boats most of us own, I'd be surprised if many (i.e.; an
    appreciable percentage) would opt for the more expensive welded aluminum
    trailer, and may be saying more about disposable income than
    actual benefit gained by the greater expenditure.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

The point that MOP made is so true. When I bought my pre-owned 22 Classic, it had a mismatched, older, oversized, aluminum trailer under it that needed to be replaced. I kept it long enough to get the boat back to Ohio and immediately purchased a new custom-fit trailer. Money was not really a consideration. I went with steel because I boat in freshwater and feel that a painted trailer looks better. I pull the 22 Classic with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi with 7,400 lbs of towing capacity. When pulling the larger aluminum trailer, I would not of even known that it was back there except for all of the creaking and groaning. The new steel trailer is quiet and firm like a tank, but you can certainly tell that it is back there because it is much heavier. If I were doing it again on a smaller performance boat, I'm not sure which way that I would go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Donzi 22 Classic 496 Mag HO
    Norris Lake, Lake Cumberland, Ohio River

FirstOffshore;

Nice looking Loadmaster trailer. Gary and co. are top notch. Really pleased with mine so far.

Rob

Yes...Loadmaster does an outstanding job. I could not be happier with their quality and customer service. Highly recommend Gary and company.

Good looking trailer, Tom. The whole rig looks pretty good.

George, when I bought my trailer, I compared it against fully loaded steel trailers. Torsion axles, disk brakes, LED lights, and the rest of it. I did not compare it against a bolt together, because I didn't want one. The upcharge was about $1500. Worth it to me, especially when you look at that cost over seven years of use. $214 per year, and all I have done is tires and normal maintenance, typical stuff.

Thanks Todd. I think you make a rather compelling case and feel that you may have found the best solution.

Thread Information