Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Rose 1976?

Yellow Rose 1976?

Good afternoon. My father had what i beleive was a 1976 Donzi 2+3. It was named the Yellow Rose. After his death in 1983 the boat was traded into Merritt Marine in Long Beach Island, NJ then sold. Just putting a feeler out there to see if any one in NJ has seen or heard of it. Unfortantly I donot have any VIN#'s. Thanks for anyinput. Happy 4th.

Cool

Years back at lake george i had a 1968 yellow donzi 18 named doozie and a guy named don had a 1976 red and white donzi 18 and he was from nj , said i should have named my boat yollow rose , but then he told me a story of a yellow donzi 18 named yellow rose that was circling a barge and tug ? Towing the barge and a tow cable popped out of the water as this 18 went in between the tow boat and barge and killed the guy driving the yellow rose . Does anyone else remember hearing any thing like that ?

that is a true story Don, but I thought it involved a 16 maybe? RedAlert would know...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Don
    the story involved a 16 with a couple they were wake jumping and cut between the tug and the barge the tow cable decapitated them both. the resulting lawsuit is said to be related to the stop in production of the 16 and the sale from the Chisholm's to the Staples. the suit was based on a design flaw the arguement was if the 16 had a windshield it may have helped. There is also a story that a guy was killed on lake george in a 16 when he stuffed it jumping the wakes of one of the cruise ships.

will keep an eye out for any info if it comes by the club's way on yellow rose.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Cool

Thanks matty , i didn't remember it being a 16 but the rest of it is what i heard .

The guy who hauls my boats around the east coast use to work @ the marina in Dunham's Bay on LG yrs ago. Some kid working @ that marina back then, was driving that green barrel back v drive hanging on the lake. He was thrown out of that boat and got banged up pretty bad. Matt, ever hear that story? Don N took me over to see that boat hanging, last yr or 2 yrs ago.

no, haven't heard that one, that boat has not seen the water in many years. Pearson and i tracked the owner down on the lake back in 04. he was fishing in a row boat said he would not sell the boat until he was really old. the excess chain from the lift is resting on the hatch and is caving it in.

I would imagine a 300HP v drive in a sharp keeled deep vee could throw a curve ball to a younger driver
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty, I remember pictures of the stuffed 16 years ago, maybe in the late 90's. The steering wheel was actually bent in half from the impact.
    RickS-E

Cool

I think what you saw was a 22 classic that stuffed .

HI Guys. Yes unforutantantly that was my father that was killed in the 18 2+3. They were not wake jumping. My father had let another guy drive. He saw the cable coming and saved the other two guys. My father or the other passanger were not decapitated, they were thrown in the water. My father was in the water for a bit until they found him. When found , him and the other passanger were intact. So please don't listen to the rumors. My father was an excellent boater and would never mess around to the point of danger. The barge was beyond the legal limits of being to far behind the tug, also the line was out of spec as well. However if anyone knows where this boat it id greatly appreciate anyhelp. Thanks.

There was no couple on board. It my father and three of his friends. Not tryign to be mean so I apoloigize if I'm coming off as such. Just the facts thats all. Anyway thanks again guys. Most people would want nothing to do with it, however if I found it I'd love to have it. Oh and the steering wheel was on the port side. If not I'd like a similiar 18 one day. Below are two pics of the boat. The one is the picture taken after the accident in NY Harbor and the other is the bestinterior shot I have. MY father is standing on the back and the rest is my sister and mom. IM the goody little kid on the backseat.

Last edited by rmv42158; 07-15-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: pics added

RMV....really sorry to learn of the tragic accident and the loss your family suffered, sounds like your dad was pretty accomplished on the water and it is really cool that he turned you onto boating.

R, very sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing the true history, as unpleasant as it is. Welcome to the board. I'll keep my eyes open for the boat, and I hope you're ultimately able to find it. -Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

THX guys. I appreciate it. Hoping to find it somewhere. If not im looking to settle for something similiar eventually. Great board here.

I hope you guys dontmind me bumping this. It's a long shot however, I'm hoping to find this boat. Thanks.

Thread Information