Thread: Classic Engine Hatch Latch

Classic Engine Hatch Latch

Went for a rip on the lake one night last week. I get back to the dock and low and behold my engine hatch latch is gone!! I open the engine compartment and start looking around when I come to my senses and realize it is gone--bottom of the lake. Luckily I was able to order a new one from our friend Josh. It is chrome plated cast bronze. However, it only came with the pin you install through the bottom of the "stem" or shaft of the latch which locks into the engine hatch receiver with a 1/4 turn. There are typically a series of 2 washers and 2 springs (I think) which are installed once it is mounted on the engine hatch. It was giving me fits until I finally realized I needed to remove the engine hatch from the boat. It was much easier to work on once off, plus it solved the issue of losing hardware in the engine compartment. Could someone please snap a few closeups of the underside of their engine hatch in the vicinity of the hatch latch and or accurately describe the makeup and sequencing or placement of of the springs and washers mounted along the shaft. I have it "installed" but I am missing something. It is not quote right as the latch knob feels way too loose when the latch is "keyed" into the receiver when the hatch is closed. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

-Whaler

One washer on each end of a single spring.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Sweet!! Thank you Carl. If only I made this inquiry before I started tearing into this. This was giving me fits yesterday. Do over!!

-Whaler

Hey folks, mine has the spring on top of the hatch. I had my gelcoat wet sanded etc some time ago and maybe they put it back incorectly?? Mine is from top to pin:
    1. Donzi logo latch "cap"
    2. Spring
    3. Large silver washer ( same circumference as "cap")

4. Fiberglass hatch

5. Smaller washer like one in picture
    6. Pin at end of stem

Any ideas? Maybe different years were set up in different order? Any help would be great as i think my latch rattles unnecessarily....

Thanks

Hey folks, any information here? Pic or anything? Unfortunately I think mine might be set up wrong and am curious to hear if everyones is set up like Carl's. Have had strange rattle an vibrations since it was removed as mentioned above..........

Engine hatch latch spring and washers

Would someone be so kind as to snap a pic of the underside of the hatch latch spring washers, stem assembly/sequence. It happened to me again. Had to order a new spring. Which direction does the narrow end of the tapered spring go? And where do the washers go? Thanks!

Whaler

Hope these help! Never looked at this before but it wouldn't hurt to have a third washer on the under side between the spring and bottom of the hatch, but apparently there are only 2 washers originally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you

So since we're on the topic of hood latches on the Classics. Here's what to do if that cross pin vibrates far enough to prevent you from opening your hatch.

Had this happen to me and my dad last weekend. Went to shut off the batteries and the hatch wouldn't open. Googled it and came up with some terrifying stuff. Some of you guys have just gone and cut holes behind the seat? Terrifying... We played around a lot and came up with this solution.

Take a ball joint separator, a towel, some thin would and go to town. Worked pretty good. Gently pushed down and it bent it just enough that it opened. My dad was pretty proud of this and wanted me to post it.

IMG_6307.jpg

Thread Information