Thread: Classic 22 outdrive issue

Classic 22 outdrive issue

water is low in our lake. had to raise drive to drop boat off lift. I've never had a reason to raise the drive (never trailered) until now.
    It raised about half way then stopped. Lowered and tried several times again. It seems it's not supposed to raise all the way up.
    Is this normal? It seems it should lift all the way up like an outboard would do?

2006 Shelby GT 425 hp X drive

Not much to go on but first look and make sure you have enough fluid in the trim pump. If you never trim the drive up one or both of your trim cylinders could be sticky or possibly need rebuilding. Mine has stuck in the past but it would trim up but not down all the way. When you figure it out, remember, never start/ run the engine with the drive all the way up, bad for your u-joint.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

There are two modes trim and trailer, they have separate buttons trim goes about 1/2 way trailer brings it the rest of the way up. If you did in fact use the trailer mode button to get the drive up then it is possible that the puck on the drive is set wrong or faulty.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

What MOP said. You need to push the trailer trim button after it raises to the cutout height. The manufacturer does this to keep someone from raising the outdrive too far when running. Most likely the button is on the body of the shifter and not the lever. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

This makes complete sense but I did not notice another button. The boat is a 2006 with
    a mercury shifter with trim button at the end of the handle. Where is the "trailer" button?
    The only other button I know of is the button at side/base of shifter to shift into neutral and the kill swith on bottom of shifter.

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Fluid is full. Pistons and outdrive like new (never been in salt). It's not laboring or binding. It just lifts to a certain spot then stops like it's supposed to stop there. I bet there is a trailer mode switch on the boat as one of the posters indicated. I just haven't found it. I'm going to be up there this weekend. Will check it out.

You will undoubtedly find the trailer trim button on the body of the shifter since it apparently is not on the throttle handle from what you saw. One of my boats has it on the bottom right corner of the shifter body, but they can be other places. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

and #4, on the shaft of the shifter about halfway up. Black rubber button that should be obvious.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Pic of the shifter would help, my 06' 18 Classic is the same button as the trim, it has two detentes to it, push the trim up and it will stop at the limit push it in harder and it will keep raising the drive to the full up trailer position, mines same button just push it harder, make sense?
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

I believe your shifter is the same as mine and if that's the case, the trim switch is also your trailer switch. Push the switch harder for trailer mode. It can take more pressure than you'd think. I use to think my switch was broken because I had to push it so hard. Then I replaced and the new one was the same.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I'm back at the lake and just checked the shifter. The toggle on the shifter for trim has two postions. One for trim one for trailer.
    I just had to push the button with more force to put in trailer mode. Easy. You would think for someone that's owned many boats over my life I would have figured that one out! Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information