Thread: 1969 grumble green ski sporter

1969 grumble green ski sporter

good afternoon, Im looking at a 1969 ski sporter, grumble green, 289 holman moody with a volvo 270 [tilt even works] from the original owner, this boat along with my 18 2+3 v-drive were ordered at the same time and delivered to birmingham. boat has been completly restored, new fuel tank, wiring, guages, engine, outdrive, the original rocket trailer has been stripped and powder coated, boat has original interior,and gelcoat both in fantastic condition, not sure of the hours but I would guess not over 100! boat has been in a motor sports museum here in Birmingham for many years. I have been trying to buy this boat since I bought my v-drive in 1984! needless to say I really have the hots for this boat. owner wants 25k? would love to here from you guys
    . Thanks, Bubba

In my opinion there are not many very nice Ski Sporters left. There are some good ones, but only a handful of great ones. There also aren't a lot of buyers for the great ones!
    If this is THE ONE, and you are THE BUYER - than make an offer. Cash is king.

My own boat (again this my opinion) is pretty much in the middle of "very good" and "great". There are two or three that are nicer that I am aware of but they have had restorations north of 50K and aren't for sale.

I had my own boat for sale last year for 16K and it did not sell. And I'm glad. I don't know what I would replace it with - maybe the $25K Grumble Green boat!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?64379-1967-Donzi-Ski-Sporter-420

This is a very narrow segment of a very narrow market. Post some pictures and good luck.

-JL

You have a hull number? The 289 sounds late for a 69 should be a 302 and the 270 sounds a little early for a 69. Pics and any serial numbers from drive or motor would help.

Jay pretty much hit the nail on the head
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sorry just re read it has been restored
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

sorry,Matty Boy, didnt realize I posted twice. I know the boat is an original 289, the freeze plugs pushed out so entire engine and outdrive was gone thru, owner was lucky, the original block was not damaged, I could be mistaken about outdrive, I once had a christ craft XK22 with a volvo 270. other than the pictures the owner sent to me, Ive not seen this boat in 25 years, gathering up cabbage now in hopes to pick her up this weekend! will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your input.

yeah the outdrive could be a 250 that the shift cover was lost and a 270 shift cover is on it now. sounds like a neat old classic

the serial numbers for the motor are on a tag on the bell housing , the drive serial numbers are on a tag on top of the drive by the dipstick the hull number might be on a tag in the back seat area or written on the back side of the dash also up by the bow eye backing.

I know more than I want to know on an old 289 that was piece mealed with newer 302 parts and upgrades

good luck pics would be awesome
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information