Thread: Shifter needed for my 16 Classic

Shifter needed for my 16 Classic

Anyone have a old style Morse shifter for a 16 classic they'd like to part with? Mine has a lot of slack in the shifter and is generally worn out-- about an inch of slack in either direction-- causes the throttle to pick up the RPM's before it can engage the clutch. I'm thinking it would be easier to replace than try to rebuild.

Thoughts anyone?

Jeff

If you are running a Volvo drive the drive is suppose to engage before the throttle is applied, eliminating the pause before engagement does away with the buttery sift shift. Many foolishly eliminate the slide link, which is designed by Volvo and end up harsh engagement shortening the drives components. A properly setup Volvo drive should be as smooth as glass during engagement!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thanks for the response... I am running a Volvo 250 drive. I think I understand the slide link pause before engaging the throttle. In other words, what you are saying is the slide should enable the driver to put the drive in gear before the throttle begins to advance and increase RPM-- correct? The way my mechanic described it, this appears to be play in the lever itself in addition to the slide. I'm going to go have a look at it tomorrow and see for myself.

Jeff

the morse on my 68 deflects 45 degrees from the nuetral lock in both fwd and reverse before fuel( goes into gear way before hitting 45 degrees). you may want to check the drive end to make sure the shift cable is not binding ,out of adjustment, or in need of replacement.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I went to the shop and examined the shifter-- appears that the gears inside are very worn. The lever that connects to the shift cable has quite a bit of play in it. Cable is new an not causing any issues. Otherwise, the shifter appears to be in good condition. Is there anywhere you can get a replacement set of gears for these old Morse shifters?

Thread Information