Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Doral 24 SS Brochure and Review

Thanks to all for the help and ideas!
    Bill, sounds like that Spitfire was done right - yesterday's classic built new with today's know-how. It would be great to see some photos of the resto as it progressed.
    My first choice would have been the El Pescador because of my fishing and diving background in Florida. However, I am happy to get my hands on any version of the 24 ft Harry Schoell designed hull. I removed the carpet (moldy mess) from the ceiling of the cabin and found some serious cracks along the line where the windshield is above. Also found some ceiling layers of roven have delaminated. The only thing I'm sure I will do with this boat is spend a lot of time and money on it. Single engine for less weight and more efficiency sounds good but (call me crazy), I've also considered converting the transom for a 30" shaft 300 hp outboard with a jack plate (or smaller twins). I'm not a fan of outboard transom brackets that hang the motors 3 feet back off the stern. The deck liner of a Doral and El Pescador are very similar. If the cabin top and windshield section are too far gone to restore, this boat may come back to life as an El Pescador. Share your thoughts if you think that would be a big mistake. I have thick skin ;-)

Gary M.

----The inner liner is pretty much the same with a couple of differences that I can think of.
    ----1; In the El P the gas tank is probably 5 feet forward of where it lies in the Doral. Thats so that your cabin has that step down and therefore gives you the headroom you have. Also, the area occupied by the tank in the Doral is below the center console in the El P and all the harnesses and cables and stuff go thru where your tank is towards the stern. None of this is too big a problem unless you factor in not having the correct center console. The original console isnt a deal breaker, but would be cool as far as originality is concerned. The weight distribution is also a factor here. With the heavy deck on the front of the Doral you can move the tank back a bit, but in the El P you need the tank as far forward as you can get it. As far as I know the two tanks are not the same and one wont fit where the other is due to the shape of the inner hull.
    ----2; Probably a bigger deal is that the two storage lockers on either side of the cockpit in an El P are not configured into the Doral as the Doral was seen to already have enough storage with the cabin. As originally designed the El P is woefully lacking in storage space for "stuff". those lockers are really helpful for small stuff and paddles, etc. I actually built a front locker thats about 4 feet deep with a padded top to lay on in the bow for lines, anchor, life-jackets, etc. The El P also has a small storage locker all the way at the bow that sort of fits just like your deck with a small door that you dont have. As well, there is a foot deep filler panel across the deck at the stern that my engine hatch is hinged to. We made my full width engine hatch as my El P was originally equipped with twin 4 cylinder Mercs and had a box over them that wouldnt begin to cover the twin 350s.
    ----Its just me,,, but there are so few Dorals out there Id hate to see one that looks as good as yours disappear. At the end of the day its your boat though!!!

----I dont think Ill get into the egg-beater area as I have specific feelings against that which really dont apply........Bill S

Good info Bill. Man, you know this boat! I hear what you're saying. LOL about egg beaters!
    It's important to me not to mess up the balance of weight with the tank, forward top and motor(s).
    Thanks again for your input.

Gary

P.S. There was a 1974 El P (bare hull & trailer $3900) recently listed for sale on Craigslist in FL. I posted twice in the classified section here but it hasn't shown up yet. Might need approval first?

So , you got thick skin eh ? If you put ouboards on that gem I'm never talking to you again ! How's that ?

Bill , it sounds like the conversion you did with the engine hatch/box for your El P was very similar and for the same reasons that we did the switch on the Magnum.

As for the single/twin discussion (don't want to get into another OT thread here) I'm only suggesting to Gary (or anyone else) not to be held a slave to the original twin installation because the transom is already cut out for it when in the big picture a resto of this size will more than likely require a whole new transom from scratch so the owner will be starting with a blank sheet and could go in either direction . I admit , now having seen the pictures , that the original engine room setup is a bit more detailed than some , but if the transom has to be redone what's a little extra grinding/cutting and re-engineering of the engine beds ?
    It's only time and a little money ..
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

adding fuel to the fire for single vs twins

I have two Complete Volvo drives with transoms, intermediate shafts and Chevy Bellhousings to sell . . .

Cheap dollars, with props, including two Nibral props from my Magnum 27 . .

Mario L.

donzi doral

rembrondt,
    if you are still in possession of the donzi doral project and are thinking / willing to sell
    i am interested and sent you a pm with my contact info.

anyone else out there knows of a project doral i would appreciate hearing about it
    thank you.

Thread Information