Thanks to all for the help and ideas!
Bill, sounds like that Spitfire was done right - yesterday's classic built new with today's know-how. It would be great to see some photos of the resto as it progressed.
My first choice would have been the El Pescador because of my fishing and diving background in Florida. However, I am happy to get my hands on any version of the 24 ft Harry Schoell designed hull. I removed the carpet (moldy mess) from the ceiling of the cabin and found some serious cracks along the line where the windshield is above. Also found some ceiling layers of roven have delaminated. The only thing I'm sure I will do with this boat is spend a lot of time and money on it. Single engine for less weight and more efficiency sounds good but (call me crazy), I've also considered converting the transom for a 30" shaft 300 hp outboard with a jack plate (or smaller twins). I'm not a fan of outboard transom brackets that hang the motors 3 feet back off the stern. The deck liner of a Doral and El Pescador are very similar. If the cabin top and windshield section are too far gone to restore, this boat may come back to life as an El Pescador. Share your thoughts if you think that would be a big mistake. I have thick skin ;-)

Gary M.