Thread: Doral 24 SS Brochure and Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Doral 24 SS Brochure and Review

I just bought a 1974 Doral project hull (no engines). It needs a lot of work but I'm thrilled. The seller had the original press release, brochure and boat test review from 1973. I scanned them to share here:

Attachment 71866Attachment 71867Attachment 71868Attachment 71869Attachment 71870

more pics to come
    Gary M
    Attached Images Attached Images

...and here's my project:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The hull looks to be in decent shape. Good luck with you project.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

----You will have to get hold of Smidgen too here on the board as he has a Doral configured the same way yours is, with Volvos, etc. Add to that; he has just finished a mini-resto on it and you can find out some of the pitfalls inherent in any Donzi 24 ft model. Get his phone # as you guys will have to talk. I have also restored a 24, but an El Pescador and also know most of the problem areas. Mine started life as a Merc powered 24 and still is. As a starter; I can almost guarantee that the transom will be soft due to the inherent problems with the methods used to manufacture these 24 footers back then. Its fairly easy to repair and even upgrade, but you need to have some input before you start......Bill S

Thanks Bob,
    Thanks Bill,

Yes, you are right about the transom. No joke, there are small weeds growing from the wood where the outdrives were! I'm just happy and honored to have one of these hulls - wanted one for many years. If possible, I'd like to remove most of the wood from the deck and hull, and rebuild it with composite stringers and foam core. Whatever it takes... It'll look good when it's finished. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary M.

Thread Information