Thread: Considering a new prop for my Donzi 16

Considering a new prop for my Donzi 16

I'm currently running a stainless prop on my 1994 Donzi 16 with 4.3 Alpha 1. Not sure on exact model of the prop. Here is what is printed on it:

48-16320 A4 23P A

At WOT it spins up to 5400 rpm (which seems a bit too high-approx. 50mph - gps). I checked the tach. to be sure it's set to 6cyl (it is).

I've heard that a Turbo 1 14 1/4 x 23 is a great prop. for the 4.3 16 ft. donzi. A local dealer mentioed a Merc. Rev. 4, but didn't have a suggestion on size. Any thoughts? I don't want to spend a ton on a prop that might not run any better than I already have.

I'm not only trying to lower the rpm's but would love to cut back on porpoising (especially with a few people in the boat between 20-30 mph) and torque steer. The boat does not currently have tabs, and I would like to avoid if possible, especially if a new prop will help cut down on the porpoise issue.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

Any thoughts? What type of props are you guys running on your 16's?

Thanks for the replies guys. Blackbox...you mentioned no porpoise at WOT. What about running 20-30 mph with passengers? This is where my ride really suffers. No porpoise issues at any speed with just the driver on board, but when I carry passengers, the porpoise issue is pretty severe under 35 mph (trim all the way down). I'm trying to improve this situation without using tabs. I've heard the correct prop is a step in the right direction.

I found the laser2 to be a good prop for the 16 with your power . 5400 rpm is too high and i think your tach is off . the rev limiter shouldnt allow that . a mirage plus will give you a better cruise speed with the same pitch as a laser2 . I think you need to get your tach fixed first . your boat should be running about 55-58 mph with a 23 ..
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

+2

Lazer II 23p on my old 95 sweet 16, 58mph @4950 rpm . You can buy them for short $ on Ebay. Ski fast, an mpi 4.3 has 260 hp. My 95 with 4 barrel had 220 hp. If dont you have a 4 barrel, your under 200hp (190hp)..... FYI

I'm about to splash my 16 Classic for the very first time after 3 years of assembly. Wondering if you guys have a suggestion on a prop to start with? 350 vortec close to 320 hp i think with an Alpha 1 1.5 gear. Thanks Daniel.
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

[ QUOTE=
    I'm about to splash my 16 Classic for the very first time after 3 years of assembly. Wondering if you guys have a suggestion on a prop to start with? 350 vortec close to 320 hp i think with an Alpha 1 1.5 gear. Thanks Daniel.

IMO to get a base try to borrow a 3b 25P, you should be able to get a decent idea where to go from there. Mind you all rigs seem to like different props, only experimenting will get the best results.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information