Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: scotts donzi

I would agree with GC on the coupler maybe something in the drive. a slipped hub on a prop can't be babied or finesed to work as normal, once a hub is gone the problem only gets worse idle speeds are the best that can be done . I had quite a few hubs go and I never had one I could get on plane.
    good luck getting the issue resolved.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Are you sure it's not just cavitating out of the hole? Tuck the drive all the way in when throttling up. Prop hub is the easiest to check. The Hub assembly should be interchangable if they are Mercruiser props.Note the stainless prop will not flex like an aluminum prop,they are unforgiving to rubber parts.There is no possible way for you to determine whether it's a coupler or a prop hub ,turning it by hand.Think about it, your turning 200+ horses before it slips.The prop or coupler would have to be completly played to turn it.Also the engine would most likley spin before either. You would need at least, a extremely long lever ,and a piston stop.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Joe, yes cavitation would fit with the babied or finesed throttle work
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I went out to the boat Last Thursday, while in the work rack I put the drive in gear with the full forward motion on the Throttle/gearshifter... jumped down and tried to rotate the prop...I could not budge it.
    While turning the prop CCW I had the clicking sound which Gcarter was talking about with it being a "dog clutch" that was obiviously the the dog clicking on the gear teeth.
    I believe this above is a key clue, I don't think it's the prop or coupler, I believe your shift cable is kaput or out of adjustment... with the gearshift in fwd., you should have no CCW rotation.. just my .02 and i've been wrong before...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Sbal

Tried that other prop... ran w/no problem but only two of us in the boat, had it wide open, about 35 mph. @4000 rpms seemed to be ok??? spun prop??? G Carter... you seem to know where the bear **** in the buckwheat, what do you think? My next move is more people in the boat(weight) and another try...I'll let you know.

It seems you may have a poor prop selection to work with.
    If you were able to go to full throttle, then it's unlikely the coupler.
    I had a number of props on my Minx that wouldn't work at all. They would blow out when the throttle was advanced, and required you to come to a complete stop to restart.
    The two props that worked best on THAT boat were a Turbo I tried, and the prop I ended up with, a Hydro Q4 which was a 21" x 15.5" which never, never blew out.
    Your boat is larger and heavier than my former boat and there're many variables to consider for proper prop selection.
    There was a former member here that had a twin of your boat w/a very healthy SBC that would actually hit 60 MPH.
    Maybe some here could make suggestions as to a shop that can give guidance and maybe some props to try.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Sbal

I'll def. try that Mr. Fixx, G Carter these posts are making me feel better and better all the time, Now with the cavitation train of thought, I do have the trim tabs, and I did work on getting my trim guage calibrated a little better so I do know where my prop is. Also. G your right on another note, the stainless was a faster prop. but the original (alum.) put the boat on a plane quicker.
    Buizilla, that was my first thought when the problem started, I was thinking slipping clutch. Gcarter had explained about the dog style clutch. I'm really thinking , With all of you guys help of course!, I have a combination prop and cable adjust problem. Gcarter , I will research what is the right prop and write down the pitches I do have on these two. I will also try to learn something about the cavitation issue....
    God Bless you all, I will keep going till I getter done!
    THANK YOU!!!

sbal

Had to be cavitation... the stainless was a 14.5 X 17, the previous owner told me he had just put it on, only ran it once or twice with no real throttling done, I put the michigan wheel on it and it runs a little slower but it sure seems A-ok, the only numbers I could find on it were 2010 16.... But the pitch and dia. were way different. went to a prop shop, they looked up and found the all around prop for that should be something like a 15 X 19??? any thoughts? Thnx again

I only skimmed, so apologies in advance if I misread this.

But if you're looking for a Michigan Wheel 15 x 19 stainless, I think I have two of them for sale. (Came off my alphas during my current Cig 24 repower.) Feel free to PM if interested. No worries if not, and/or if I misread something and have this hopelessly wrong.

Regards,

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thread Information