Thread: classic 22 cavitates

Unhappy classic 22 cavitates

I have a 82 classic with 454 , trs outdrive and a 14.25 x 23 stainless 3 blade prop.Boat cavitates out of hole pretty bad. Top end about 58 but nothing out of hole.....any suggestions???????

Maybe a 4 blade prop and/or Imco type cavitation plate.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Lightbulb

Kind of surprised, the TRS sits a couple of inches deeper than the later drives, like Carl first place to look would be the prop. Rough edges, slight twist in a blade could cause it. Another possibility is trim tab placement, set to far inboard they can make the prop air out.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

trim

by saying to far inboard im confused....trim is normally all the way down and the prop is like new...??????

Cavitates

I tried a labbed 23 on my '88 22C and it did the same, too much throttle out of the hole and it just spun, regardless of trim. 26P Mirage+ was a much better all around prop. Now running a four blade Solas. The 23 was my best top end prop, but wasn't very stable at WOT.
    Oledawg
    Raconteur, bon vivant, curmudgeon
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC
    - Heart of the Uwharrie Mountains

'88 Donzi Classic 22 "Bad Nuff" - 482 stroker 454, Bravo One, Solas 4 blade, Red/White hull, White Deck ( "drivin" boat )

'87 Correct Craft Riviera "Oledawg" - 454 PCM ( "cruzin" boat )

"A man without a boat is a prisoner" - Faronese proverb

[ QUOTE=by saying to far inboard im confused....trim is normally all the way down and the prop is like new...??????

My bad left out trim "tab"! I have run onto a few boats that had tabs mounted too close to the drive which caused them to cavitate.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

You might try a prop called a Turbo from Precision Propellers. Not sure if they work as well on an 80s model 22 Classic, but on my 98 22 Classic it was like night and day when I put a Turbo on my Classic. It had a 23" Mirage when I bought the boat doing around 65mph on GPS. Put a 22" Turbo on and gained considerable more stability at WOT and boat ran 69GPS. You may say that is slow for a big block 22 Classic. My boat had a gear change in the Bravo because the previous owner had a super charged engine in the boat. WOT she was rock solid and a pleasure to drive.

http://www.turbo-props.com/
    Scott Boldt

Haven't been to this thread and I know it's old, but.........

Hey Richard! Are you sure this is cavitation and not your tranny slipping? That transmission was rebuilt before I bought it by a real expert in the field and done up with the extra plate and what have you. After a few months of my ownership, the tranny slipped a bit and I changed the oil, which cured it. For what it's worth, I'm not big on doing heavy holeshots with a TRS because of the transmission. With no tranny slip, I never had a problem with cavitation, even loaded down with 5 adults on board.

As the experienced Boldts suggests, the Turbo prop is the perfect prop for that boat and that's exactly what it has on it. Even before I had installed the tabs, it never had a porpoising problem due to that prop. My suggestion is to keep the current prop. Could try Fixx's idea, he knows more than I do. But I think this prop was custom for the boat. Grizzly may have had a hand in it, don't know. Regardless, I think you might try changing out that tranny oil, it worked for me.

If you want to go faster than the 58 mph you've achieved, get those tabs completely raised and triim that drive out so it's running on that pad. I've had that boat to 63 mph GPS and I've had it to 62 loaded with 5 people!

If you ever see this post, would love a photo of my old girl!

Thread Information