Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selling a Donzi for my father, need some help...

Selling a Donzi for my father, need some help...

Hello all! I hate joining a forum or other's that do just to sell something, but I feel this is the best place to start as Donzi seems to have a "cult" of followers. I also felt the boat should go to a great home and think this is the best place to start. For some reason the forum seemed to be down (at least on my end) for over a week so I went ahead and listed the boat on Craigslist yesterday. Actually had a serious offer today, BUT the boat has not ran in nearly four years and my father was hoping to sell as is or to have someone KNOW what they are doing buy this boat.

I haven't had a chance to help him with it as I was just tasked with listing the boat etc.......anyhow, he is selling a 1994 18' Classic. He acquired it somewhat through his new girlfriend / fiancé from her last marriage. Hence why it has not left the garage in a few years. He got it all cleaned up and ready to sell, short of putting it in the water or running it on the hose. The guy inquiring about it today needed it to be running etc....... So he decided to try to fire it up. Once the battery was on and blower ran for awhile he tried to start it and got nothing. He bought a new battery and still nothing.

My thought is that there is a kill switch somewhere, but he can't locate one (I live an hour away) I had him make sure it was in neutral etc as well.

So what is the normal starting procedure for this boat and if there would be a kill switch where would it be located (providing it is a factor switch)?

I think he is pricing this thing to sell FAST, hell I would buy it if I had the extra scratch. Here is a quick picture of it. I am going to wait to post in the for sell section until it at least fires up.

So thanks in advance, I am hoping it something simple and I can find this nice boat a new home soon
    Attached Images Attached Images

sweet boat!!! check the kill switch under the throttle controls (if it has one that is)
    FISH HARD

Beautiful Boat

Drop the craigslist link on here.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Thanks! I will have him check for the kill switch or I may ride up tomorrow and check it out myself. Is there anything else you can think of that would cause the motor to not even turn over?

Here is a link, hope I'm not breaking any rules. I will post in the for sale soon

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/boa/3036585415.html

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/boa/3036585415.html

Here is the link, hope I am not breaking any rules until I post in the For Sale section

Is there anything else it could be besides the kill switch (if there is one)?

Nice boat , sonny ! ... lord that commercial used to crack me up ..

When you say ' he got 'nothing' do you know if it means it cranked but wouldn't start ? Which I believe is what would happen when the kill switch is activated. Or does it make no sounds at all .. not even starter pinion moving ?

To some people they both classify as 'nothing' but are two very different things.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I think I've seen at least one kill switch that was pure dead. Click-nothing. No cranking, no nothing. I think.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

By nothing, I mean the motor/starter does not try to turn over, NOTHING! This is how my Yamaha Jet Boat acted when the kill switch was not engaged. Turn the key and silence.

I will post the Craigslist ad in the For Sale section now.

I had a 94 Classic 16. Throttle is probably the same. Merc 3000 if I recall correctly. There is a mini red toggle kill switch under the lever of the throttle. Try that.

could be a plethora of different things being that it's sat for so long. Crappy fuel?

Normally the first place you start on any motor is check for spark. No spark, the problem is obviously ignition. Spark but no run, fuel delivery.

It would make sense to get someone over there who knows about motors and just pay him a couple bucks to get it up and running. Being that it's sat and might have had ethanol crap gas in it, it could be very likely that the pilot jets are varnished shut or nearly shut.

What are you asking for the boat? You might find a better buyer here or at least someone who can get it running

Good luck, it's a pretty boat!
    DUNESMAN

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

That is like an on/off switch which he said he tried.

I was hoping there was more of a lanyard style kill switch that he may be missing.

There are a few things to check

If there is no cranking of the starter check to make sure the key switch is sending power and the neutral safety switch is working. This safety switch prevents the motor from starting in gear usually by breaking the connection to the starter solenoid preventing the starter from turning. The kill lanyard breaks the connection to the coil so the motor will turn but not start or die when running

Make sure all the wires are good after a long layup a wire may have been disconnected and not reconnected

Very nice 18

My 18 foot classic also has a switch that kills power in the engine compartment just behind the rear seat. Check that if you have it.

My 18 foot classic also has a switch that kills power in the engine compartment just behind the rear seat. Check that if you have it.

Man , do we ever have the tendency to overlook the obvious sometimes ! !

It seems we all forgot about the master 'power on/off switch' ... lol
    Yep , if 'off' it would do exactly what you're describing and if pop isn't too familiar with boats he may not know that most of them have these things now.

Matty's description of the difference between the shift kill switch and the safety lanyard was very good by the way. Otherwise , I would have added that besides his suggestion to look for any possibly disconnected wires to also examine the ground/contacts on the main power cables to the starter and engine block ground.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

First pull spark plugs and spray a little lube in each cyld. Then see if the engine will turn over with a wrench on the front crank nut. Then change the oil and filter. If possible it would be best to pre-lube the engine by pulling the distributor and spinning the oil pump with a drill motor. Now figure out why you are not getting power to the starter. Check all connections. Check for power at the starter with a test light while turning the key. Change water pump impeller since it has probably rotted and/or taken a set. Attach water hose. Start engine.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thread Information