Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recognise this model

Can anyone recognise this model

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me anything about this boat. It's advertised as a 1976 Cigarette of 11 meters, with twin 550cv mercruisers.

Should have some better photos after this weekend.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

28 cig are there numbers stamped on the starboard side of the transom?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I'll ask over the weekend. The boat is in the mainland Spain and I'm on the island, so will need to get as much info as possible, before going over to see her.

It's quoted as 11m (36') but I have to agree that the helm area looks very much like the 28 SS

I'll add more info as soon as I can.

Thanks

Pete

Are those 350 Mags in it ? Kinda hard to tell on my little screen .

If you get it , ditch the Merc 3000 Commander binnacle unit as fast as you can.

I once had a rather unpleasant experience with one.
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

35' Mistress or 35' Awesome maybe?

35' Mistress or 35' Awesome maybe?

Getting the 'scale' of some of these things is very tricky in some pics , but I knew there was something just not '28 ish' about the engine hatches and all that space in front of the motors .

I think you might be right .

Can anyone confirm this.

.............The name Awesome comes from the response that Richie Powers gave to Don after coming back from the ocean test of one of the new 35 foot designs.

The first 35 went to Bob Nordskog and he never really set it up right...he was looking for all out speed rather than an all around fast boat that could handle the ocean too.

Finally Richie Powers set one up as the 35 Dry Martini race boat and took it out for the ocean test. Don was waiting for his reaction to the test and the first thing Richie said when he returned to NE 188th St was.....Awesome.

Don grinned and used the name for this production model boat with the high lift deck.

The other 35 with the flat deck, was known as the Mistress.....the ad read..."Every man should have one"......

Pete

35 Awesome...raised deck is the difference.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

I'm still waiting for photos and numbers but have found the following.......

In the 70's after Don Aronow had retired from racing, he took his 32 foot boat Cigarette[I] and stretched it to 36..it was over 9 feet wide. This boat was then stretched to a 40 footer.

He had an idea that a narrower boat would be faster, so he designed a 35 foot boat with a 8 foot beam.

He made two models with the same hull. One with a raised deck he called Awesome and one with a flat deck he called Mistress. The boat was actually 35 feet 9 inches. He often said it was the best boat he ever designed, it had just the right balance.

Later in the 70's everyone wanted bigger boats, so he reluctantly stretched it to 37 feet and 6 inches and thus was born the Top Gun.

He still said the 35 was a better boat.

Does anyone have photos of the inside of a standard 35 Awesome? Around the helm and other internal photos. Please.

Update

Photos arrived.... I think this confirms what it is.

Would anyone care to put a value on it? One engine is dead and the other has not run for over 4 years.

All photos here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unfortunately , because of where the boat is , the shipping and import taxes will factor into it's value there .
    There's probably only one or two people here who could give it a rough 'States-side value' of any accuracy and unless you find another one in similar condition in the US you'd have to add the value of where yours sits due to the added cost of getting it there.
    So one exactly the same in the US right now for , let's say , us$50,000 could be valued at us$100,000 where that one is right now.

It's not going to be cheap getting it back into good running order either. All of your engine stuff will more than likely have to be imported form the US too.

Still , it's a lot of boat .

Repowered, Bravo drives and 454/502 Magnums looks like. What does one dead motor mean? Need some more details on that. The other will start right up if it ran fine 4 years ago. Looks cool.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Looks like early nineties 454 repower. If I was looking at this, I would assume that I was going to have to do complete repower, engines and drives, and take that into consideration, unless proven otherwise.

I would assume a marine survey would be in order. It obviously has age and spent time in the water. Hull, gas tanks, etc. should really be looked at closely.

For its age, it looks to be in pretty good shape. Cool boat.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Pretty cool find, I like this era cig, and it looks like its in fairly original condition. As to value, too many things to know first.... Start with the foundation, are the transom/ stringers dry and was the engine/drive refit done well? Were the gas tanks replaced and if not, are they accessable?Depending on the eng. hours you could possibly just replace the bad motor. But depending on weather they sat in saltwater (which it appears they did) both motors could be refreshed but if there is a lot of corrosion, might not be worth it. The drives are probably ok since they are behind stock power but they might need a rebuild depending on hrs. 10-15k US$ would be my first guess depending on the above and much more.
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Thread Information