Thread: '94 King Cobra water in gear lub.

'94 King Cobra water in gear lub.

Changed gearcase lub last fall. Idled for 2 minutes on hose (boat not in water this year) & then checked level. Is foamy. Boat has 450 hours.

After checking some old post, hoping it is just the water pump shaft seal.

So will I need special tools?

What is in #13 water pump repair kit @ Short's Marine http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/OMC_OEM...e=13&A=55&B=18 ?

Thanks in advance....

14 - 18 + a coupla of 21's

Checked gear lub today & looks good. Yesterday I checked about 45 minutes after 2 minute idle.

So looks like I need to replace #4 the seal, what does that "T" shaped symbol mean?

When I remove Adapter Housing (assuming I need to remove to replace seal), will the gears stay in place?

Gear will probably come out with housing. The seal goes in from the outside. Sometimes you can "gently dig" out the seal without removing the adapter. I strongly recommend a shop manual. The manual says to remove the adapter and use a puller to extract seal.

thanks dsparis, I have Seloc' OMC Stern Drives repair manual. Really not much detail on this.

But on the other items the last 6 years the detail was godd enough.

Ive got the OMC manual, its very good. They're available on ebay.

OK, I found the oil seal & large O-Ring in stock. Will just use gasket sealer on in & outseals.

The only problem I can see is getting all those bearings tostay in place when putting back together. Can I use a dab of EP red bearing grease with the HPF Pro gearcase lub?

Thank for all your help!!!

Still Foamy

I changed everything. Old Gear lube looked great - no evidence of water.

Ran on hose for less than a minute. Lube was foamy & about 1.5 inches high.

Checked after 3 hours & down 1/2 to less than 1 inch. After sitting all night was just like before it was ran, right at top of level.

So I am now confounded. Thought gear lube was not supposed to foam at all. Cannot remember if I ever checked lube that quickly after running....

Brambo, I am guessing it is air entrampment, not foam. Yes there is a difference. Besides the oil is cold which makes it look worse than it really is.

If you think there is water in your oil and it is not obvious, ie milky, get an oil sample from the unit, when you drain the oil, the "contaminated" product will come out first as oil floats on water.

Take this small smaple and get into the kitchen, grab a frying pan and start heating it up. When you think the pan is hot enought, flick some water into the hot pan and see if the water "dances" across the hot surface. If it does, the pan is hot enough.

Once the water you flicked into the pan is gone, drop some of the oil sample into the pan, if it "dances" that is the water boiling off, if it doesn't dance, no water present.

You are good to go.

Ken

Thread Information