Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Volvo External Hydraulic Steering Complete

It depends on the prop. I have a Michigan 21, with a flared end, that handles much like my Ultra 24....
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

That is the exact prop I have I had it re pitched to a 22.5 and cupped. I am having it re cond. and re hubbed.
    5000 rpm no problem great hole shot and top end I did a lot of experementing to finally get it dialed in and love the performance I was concidering taking off the flair end

Absolutely Incredible! 45 years of driving that boat and dealing with a pull. You can let go of the wheel at 65 MPH and wherever you point it thats were it goes. I cannot believe it! It's almost scary because you don't know how to trust what it is going to do over a wake. It just stays there!

cool boat dude

Looks great! Having owned an 69' 18'Classic with the Volvo 250 drive, I was always experimenting with a way to adapt hydraulic trim to the drive. Had alot of engineers look at the set-up and was told the lever inside that the electrical tilt & lift for trailering was not strong enough to take a hydraulic ram pushing down on it. I was also told it would be very expensive to retro fit. So, my dad and I went back to adding trim with spacers on the trim bar. It worked, but you loose your reverse lock. Sooooooooo. I quite messing with it and enjoyed what I had. I have seen hydraulic trim used on Volvo equipped Offshore race boats. However, just one or two. Fantastic job on the steering Ralph. I know there are many old Volvo drive Donzi owners thanking you for taking the time to mastermind a system.
    Scott Boldt

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
    [
    Looks great! Having owned an 69' 18'Classic with the Volvo 250 drive, I was always experimenting with a way to adapt hydraulic trim to the drive. Had alot of engineers look at the set-up and was told the lever inside that the electrical tilt & lift for trailering was not strong enough to take a hydraulic ram pushing down on it. I was also told it would be very expensive to retro fit. So, my dad and I went back to adding trim with spacers on the trim bar. It worked, but you loose your reverse lock. Sooooooooo. I quite messing with it and enjoyed what I had. I have seen hydraulic trim used on Volvo equipped Offshore race boats. However, just one or two. Fantastic job on the steering Ralph. ]

I made a few of these power trim set ups back in the 70's for Volvo race boats. This pic is of a 28' Bertram Baron that raced modified class back in the day. I used Merc OB trim cyl, & Merc trim pumps with home made brakets, no problems. These trim set ups were on boats that ran real 100 mile offshore races back in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Every time Irun the boat now I am just completely amazed at the performance and handling I can’tbelieve I have been riding in that boat for 46 years and that unsafe. All I cansay is wow! If any one would like to get parts and try this please contact me Don’tbather with that Latham wing plate it will tear up your tilt bumper and also tolong for K5b pistons

Got the rest of the requested pictures Ck it out

DSCN4292.JPGDSCN4301.JPGDSCN4302.JPGDSCN4293.JPGDSCN4294.JPGDSCN4295.JPGDSCN4296.JPGDSCN4297.JPGDSCN4298.JPGDSCN4299.JPGDSCN4300.JPG

Original helm in place no problem. I still can not get over how well it handles. Maddad had a chance to drive it. He can't believe it either!
    I think he is convinced to go this route.

Bringing this excellent thread/modification to the top.

Anyone who has an old Volvo boat and wants to go fast and doesn't have arms like Popeye, should consider this.

I was looking hard at doing a single external arm on my old 16, but transom geometry for the arm (over the tabs, under the mufflers, onto the drive) and still be able to steer all the way left, right and tilt the drive, was extremely tight.

-JL

Thank you for bringing this back up. I searched for it and could not find it.
    I even made a comment on that post.
    What did you end up doing as I have a 290 with trim and tilt..Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    Thank you for bringing this back up. I searched for it and could not find it.
    I even made a comment on that post.
    What did you end up doing as I have a 290 with trim and tilt..Ed
    Ed, from your video posted, that upper cap looks awfully close to the 280 one, maybe a similar wing plate would work. Your tips look like they will be the issue. Ralph's pistons just touch at fully raised / trailering position. You do lose the helmet etc.
    John

Thread Information