Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1968 donzi sweet 16 restoration

1968 donzi sweet 16 restoration

I just recently purchased my first 1968 donzi sweet 16 and i figured i would do the restoration myself, and i figured i would post the progress here. now this is a resto project on a budget so some of the methods used here might look ridiculous, but its the best I can do with what I have. I bought the hull and trailer off ebay for 1650.00, the trailer is worth at least 2000. here are the before pictures, any helpful tips anyone can offer would be appreciated.Attachment 71135DSC_0533.jpgDSC_0542.jpg

Man I love them like that. The more duct tape the better. lol
    I'll be watching.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Good Luck with your new project !

I believe this exact boat project was posted here several times in 2009-2010 .
    That owner later offered it up for sale here when he found it was way too much of a project for him; & he later abandoned his restoration plans.

Do a forum search for it in this site's search function above.
    There are also photos posted !
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

soooooooooo

You got quite a project here. What are you thinking about doing? Whats the end result in your head at the moment? At this point you are free to do what ever you want. Period correct restro? Restro mod? What's the power/drive gonna look like?

Being you have a blank slate with this. I would suggest a thought out plan. Stick to it and watch the budget.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

My advice to you would be is to start with a saw zaw and finish with a paint sprayer. Plan on going deep at the git go. Gas tank, stringer, transom. Best to find out now then later.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I love to see the old boats brought back but you'd better be doing it for love of the project and boat and not to save $. You can buy a very nice 16 ready to go and on a trailer for $12,000. You will have a whole lot more into this one plus countless hours. I agree about taking the sawzall to it...................then sell the trailer . JMO and a heads up on what you're getting into. Thanks for posting it here in any case. There are 3 16s listed here for between 12 & 18 grand & the 18 grand one is a fully restored V-drive. http://www.powerboatlistings.com/donzi/
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

i saw that post a few weeks ago when i was browsing and couldn't believe it, it looks exactly the same but someone put it on a nice trailer and the wrap around handrail is gone. whoever did work on this thing really butchered it they drilled holes all over the dash cut big access panels in the side so i had a lot of patching to do. and that paint job is just nasty looking.

the first thing i did was cut away the outer transom skin for a new transom, i plan on using seacast for the new transom. the old drive was the volvo and I'm putting an omc drive in seeing as how i already have the outdrive, so i had to fiberglass over the hole to fill it. then i built a cradle around the upper half to pop the top off, a friend brought his farm tractor over and we lifted the top off with the bucket. I would very much like to restore it to the original look but i can't afford the original motor and drive, so I'm going to try to make it as original as possible without going insane.
    000_0241.JPG000_0240.JPG000_0236.JPG103_2760.JPG103_2759.JPG000_0238.JPG

after the top was off and i ripped out the old gas tank i started framing out the inside so i could flip the hull upside down to work on the hull (thank god 2x4s are cheap). we debated for a bit at the boatyard on the best way to flip (one guy said if the hole in the back was still open we could rotisery it) we finally just picked the thing up by the eyes, not the safest way but it got the job done.
    IMAG0485.jpgIMAG0486.jpgIMAG0487.jpgIMAG0488.jpgIMAG0489.jpgIMAG0490.jpg

5f5 paint stripper became my best friend for about 3 days while i stripped that nasty bottom and topside paint off. most of the paint came off pretty easily then it was sanding the dry residue off. the old metal donzi marine emblems left an imprint on both sides along with the larger DONZI sticker along with the british and american flag, so I'm going to get the original stickers from donzi direct.Attachment 71153Attachment 71161Attachment 71160Attachment 71159Attachment 71158Attachment 71157Attachment 71156Attachment 71155Attachment 71154Attachment 71162

Very nice progress already. Ditto to Carl's statement regarding motives for the project. It will not save you any money when compared to buying a complete boat. It will allow you to spread the money spending out over whatever time frame you want. I have no idea over how many hours I have in mine. I do know how much money I have into it, and that is best left un-discussed. However the pride and enjoyment I have over how the boat turned out made it all worth while.

There are many threads on the site about people undertaking this type of project. Not saying mine is anything special, but if you are bored, it might provide some insights. It might not. But the fun thing is that mine is done and that might provide some inspiration.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?58186

Keep posting pictures. And you will see I didn't put any structural support in my hull, and that made for some interesting wrestling when I went to put the deck back on.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

atrides, where are you, on the Vineyard?

Ken

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
    as a matter of fact i am on the vineyard, was it the edgartown marine sign that gave it away? are you here as well?

some more photos of the paint coming off along with the finished pictures and a picture of the spot were the old Donzi sticker was, its just barely visible.
    IMAG0521.jpgIMAG0520.jpgIMAG0519.jpgIMAG0518.jpgIMAG0517.jpgIMAG0516.jpgIMAG0512.jpgIMAG0511.jpg

(soooooooooo

You got quite a project here. What are you thinking about doing? Whats the end result in your head at the moment? At this point you are free to do what ever you want. Period correct restro? Restro mod? What's the power/drive gonna look like?

Being you have a blank slate with this. I would suggest a thought out plan. Stick to it and watch the budget.)

definitely a resto mod, I'm putting in a omc 4.3. i would like to make it as original as i can (obviously with in reason) I would like to get the original style stainless gauge panel and the wrap around handrail but i think i would have to have one custom built

Thread Information