Thread: Minx Propeller

Cool Minx Propeller

Repowered my minx with a mercury 300 hp. plus engine.I also purchased a new alpha 1 gen 2 drive and transom assembly. (1:62 ratio). I am spinning a 25 " mirage at 4600, and about 62 mph (lite). I hear all stories about a rev 4, a fury,and several others. I know any prop is a compromise, Its usually just myself and the wife on board. Last week I had 5 peopleon board, and porpoising was a bit trying with the 25 mirage. Its hard to test props at $ 500-600 apiece. YES, I do have trim tabs !

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Find a shop that lets you try them for $50 or so. Trying 6 props for $750 is a bargain compared to 6 props for 3 grand.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

When I had my Minx, I had similar HP and speed, but was running a 22" Hydro Q4.
    I tried a bunch of props, even 4 or 5 from Griz (RIP).
    By far the Q4 was the best performing prop on that boat. It never blew out and porpoising w/a full load was easily controlled.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

1:62 25p 4600 rpm 62mph. Technically you are geared wrong. Most of us with small blocks and Alphas run 1:5 Ratio, Big block Alphas use 1:32 which is a heavy duty gear set. You could run into gear shear if your not careful. Tuck the drive all the way in to get rid of the porpoising. When she settles back down, trim back up
    I'm running a 1:5 21P @ 4800 and pitot 60mph. She does not like eccessive trim at speeds lower than 45mph or in a turn. Mine will not come back from the porpoise with out tucking the drive in. *Note also that the trim cylinders from Alpha One to Gen II are different. I'm not sure if they are the same length. It may be possible that the drive will not tuck in far enough. This might be something you want to investigate.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Do yourself a favor, call @ BBlades propellers, he has a great test program, has a ton ok knowledge to boot.
    I'm gonna have to disagree on Joes statement on being geared wrong, there are a few as I am that it's better to spin a larger prop slower than a smaller pitch prop faster, the theory is lower slip #'s with 300 HP I really don't think your gonna hurt your 1.62 gears anymore than you would with 1.5's
    I personally am running 600 HP through a Bravo drive with 1.65 gears, granted I do have some gear wear but I think this is due to spinning it to 6,000 rpm.
    Im no expert on the Minx hull for which I've never had one as Joe and Gary have experience with but I still will say if you get it proped right a 1.62 vs a 1.5 drive will prolly be a lil faster on the top end and have quicker accelleration.
    Good luck test as many props as you can and have fun.
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Thread Information