Thread: mechanical fuel pump fitting

mechanical fuel pump fitting

Marine fuel pump fuel in 3/8 NPT fitting, fuel out 3/8 inverted flair fitting correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't tell from the picture (and I do know the difference), so take a trip to the local hydraulic shop.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Good suggestion

George,
    I do business with a shop that should be able to help me figure out what I need. It won’t be long now; goal is to complete wiring this weekend and set the motor back in the boat next week to take measurement for the built to fit risers.
    Thanks,
    Bob

I think this is the same Holley pump Bobby, and if I recall, it's also NPT to the fitting you use to supply the carb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Mike,
    Sure looks like the same fuel pump thanks for posting the picture.
    Bob

Fuel Pump Fittings

Bob~

Most fuel pumps use a 3/8" male NPT pipe threaded 90* Weatherhead street "L" fitting to screw-in the pump's outlet with the other side of the 90* fitting having a female inverted flare for a matching flare tubing "nut".
    Your steel, or copper fuel, line to your carb itself should have the actual male flare nuts flared on this tubing .
    I like to double flare these flare nut units just like brake lines.

The other intake side of the fuel pump usually has a 3/8 ", or similar brass hose barb fitting for the marine fuel hose to push-on with two SS screw clamps.

There are also many other ways to do this with various other syle fittings & aircraft lines.

NAPA, or a any similar good auto supply store, can fix you up with the proper "Weatherhead " brand forged brass fuel line fittings.
    Last edited by silverghost; 04-23-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Brad,
    Thanks for the reply and good explanation it helped me sort things out.
    Bob

You can convert the NPT to a flare with an adapter and use metal gas lines. They are simple hardware store items. The gas lines need to be coast gaurd approved for fire retardent for a specific amount of time. That is why it is best to use steel lines as they don't melt, and they go way beyond the requirement

machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Question on the steel fuel lines and fuel with ethanol. Could rust/corrosion become an issue over time?
    1976 Hornet with big block chevy --- contemplating the name "Money Hemorrhager"

" A funny thing is if you're out hiking and your friend gets bit by a poisonous snake, tell him you're going for help, then go about ten feet and pretend YOU got bit by a snake. Then start and argument about who's going to get help. A lot of guys will start crying. Thats why it makes you feel good."
    Jack Handey - Deep Thoughts

I would think corrosion would be non existant. I think they are some what presurized all the time and oxygen isn't really present like in a half full gas tank. I haven't had any problems ,but stainless steel is always an option .
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Thread Information