Thread: Trim limit spacer question?

Trim limit spacer question?

Is the trim limit spacer insert supposed to face forward or backwards on a B1?
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

Put it in front of the pin it limits tuck in which can induce bow steer, if the drive tucks under to far it can also cause the boat to roll up more in turns.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

22ZX trim limiters

McKillop - I see by your masthead that you have a 22ZX. This issue of trim limiter blocks is important. My 22ZX has a warning decal under the hatch not to operate the boat without trim limiters in place. This is because the 22ZX has a known tendency to "spin out" when the drive is "trimed in." There have been several posts of 22ZX owner encountering this at fairly low speed when they use tabs down and drive in and then start getting creative with their turns.

Original 22ZX trim limiters from the 1999 year were two aluminum blocks painted black that could be installed in several ways to get various trim limits. Unfortunatly they rubbed on the drive yoke to remain in position and usually after a few years have worn these surfaces enough to fall out of position.

Merc Service literature from the time shows how to install the blocks. Eventually Merc went away from the blocks and started using an insert to be placed inside the trim ram cylinders. These are small black plastic inserts that require the disassembly of the rams.

Not a lot of people are aware of the trim limiter blocks and more than one boat mechanic has just removed them and tossed them. I saved the pair from my 22ZX and don't use them unless my children are going to be running the boat. I don't want their ignorace to get them in trouble.

Two black blocks marked A and B, right and left hand you can weld them if they are worn.

Hope this helps,
    Dr. d

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I have a 25 ZX and am only referring to the small white plastic "shim" like spacer for the trim ram pin.
    Donzi 18C

Re read my post! That is the the spacer!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I know, thanks MOP. I replying to the good Dr.
    Donzi 18C

Most installations of B1/B2 drives have the placement of the spacer in FRONT of pin. B3's have the spacer BEHIND the pin.
    You need to put the 'spacer' BEHIND the pin, if you want to limit the amount of trim IN.
    By putting the spacer in front of the pin, you are in effect moving the drive IN that much more. ie; thickness of the spacer.

Thread Information