Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 496HO to 502

I should have started a compressor thread. That's the most interest I've garnered since starting this build.
    Despite not being able to get much work done, I am still confident I'll be on the water this summer. I'm scared to say "when", because I've never been able to hit my deadline yet, but hopefully it will be soon. I've decided against freshening the motor so that will save some time.

I was pretty much at a stand-still because I needed to drop the motor in for a test fit in order to finish the numerous small items. My shop crane won't lift the motor high enough to get it in the boat.

While I was waiting, I had purchased a chartplotter and installed that.
    Chartplotter.jpg

I tucked it in as tight as I could to the corner of the windscreen. As with everything, even that wasn't a quick and easy install, because I couldn't use the supplied bracket and had to make my own.
    Elite installed.jpg
    Why is faster never fast enough.

In order to move forward, I simply had to get the motor installed for a test fit. I tossed around the idea of pulling the boat off the trailer and setting it on the ground so I could use the engine hoist, but I've pulled the boat off the trailer before and it's a pita. I ended up building a gantry to hoist the motor.
    Gantry.jpg Motor instal.jpg
    I disassembled the gantry after I was done and will set it back up when I need to pull the motor

In my quest to stroke my ego with bling but too cheap to buy the real thing, I bought some
    S/S sheathing.
    Sheathing.jpg

One Rad hose and required 1.5" sheathing
    Hose.jpg 1.5 Sheathing.jpg

Slide the sheathing over the hose.
    Sheathing instal.jpg

I then taped the ends to control the fraying.
    SS Hose taped.jpg

Then I covered the tape with Shrink Tubing.
    ShrinkTube.jpg ShrinkTube2.jpg ShrinkTube3.jpg

Voila! One S/S braided hose.
    Finished Hose.jpg

I have more to do, including some of the cabling, but I'm happy with how it's looking so far.
    Test fit.jpg SS Hoses.jpg SS Hoses installed.jpg

Lookin' good Glen!
    Speaking of compressors, I see your exhaust compressor. I kept mine black. I did repaint it though. Mine is back in the stbd transom corner and behind the steering hoses.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Yeller,

What did you use for the transducer? I was speaking to an "expert" at West Marine over the weekend. He claimed that the Lowrance models would NOT work with a "shoot through the hull" transducer? I also had settled on the Elite 5 unit I spoke to him.

Also, any behind the scenes pictures of bracket, etc would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks George.
    That compressor isn't actually installed there. It is just sitting there. I was going to install it back near the transom but I've decided to ditch it altogether. I am going to adapt my electric solenoids off my stock Q&Q instead. I just don't like having to use a compressor when the electric solenoids are a much simplier system.

Redink,
    Your "expert".....isn't. Any unit will work with a shoot thru transducer. The only reason a shoot thru transducer wouldn't work is because there are air pockets in the glass layup. The Elite instructions even have directions on how to mount the transducer externally as well as thru hull. I bought the "Gold" unit which comes with a transducer (and maps). I haven't mounted mine yet, as I need to wait until I can put the boat in the water. In order to assure I don't pick a spot that has an air pocket, I will place the transducer in a bag of water in the bilge and move it around until I get a signal. I suspect I will be able to install it pretty much anywhere as I don't expect to have any air pockets in the layup. Not sure what I will use to attach it to the hull. Instructions say to use an epoxy, but it doesn't say what kind. I will have to do a bit of google searching to find out what to use. It will also be important that I don't get any air bubbles in the epoxy.

As far has the head unit mounts, they are simply pieces of angle aluminum. You can see one of them sticking out below the unit. I had to bend them slightly to fit the curvature of the deck.

Hey Glen, epoxy tends to get brittle (Probably because of the thickness of the epoxy)
    and sometimes lets go. I mean it'll shear through the epoxy, not that it lets go from one or both surfaces.
    I think a better mounting method is to use RTV. Lay on a 1/4" thick blob on the puck and press it onto the selected spot. And as a bonus, if it doesn't work in that spot, use a putty knife to pry it up and relocate it where it will.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I took the tires off my trailer and jacked up the front and got the cherry picker to just barely work! Not me in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I thought of doing that as well Carl. Wasn't 100% sure it would work though, so I went with the gantry.

Thanks George. I was pretty sure I could use a silicon of some sort.

Redink, here's a pic of the mount.
    Elite mount.jpg

Very Nice!

Thank You.

I'm getting very close to getting back on the water. Only thing left I have to do is connect the throttle cables and fire the motor. I'm hoping to fire it up Monday afternoon and if all goes well, I'll go for a test spin on Tuesday.
    Boat still needs gel work on the transum, but I have to relocate the boat and it's going to be difficult to work on it at the new location, so getting it running was a priority. It also needs a MAJOR detailing. I'll post some pics of the final work later.

Fired the boat up on Tuesday. Only ran it for a few minutes, but it sounds nasty.
    Some of the gauges weren't working properly so I didn't want to put it in the water yet.

Still didn't take any pics or video. Will try and remember to get those next week.

Boat is a couple hundred miles from me at my cousins shop, so I won't get back there until sometime next week to (hopefully) finish it off.

The only pic I have is of the "centering disc" I had made for my raw water pump. I'm using a crank driven pump and, as other have said before, the bolt holes are larger than the bolts, so it's near impossible to center the pump without fabricating something.
    Pump disc1.jpgPump disk2.jpg

Also have 2 pics of the exhaust tails. I wanted to go from pneumatic solenoids on the switchable exhaust to electric, so I had to get a S/S bar welded in the end to stop the flaps
    Tails1.jpg

and weld on a new mounting bracket for the solenoid.

Tails2.jpg

Solenoids worked great when I tested the setup, but now that they are in the boat, they don't pull in all the time. Power to the solenoids is just a touch low, so I think I'll have to wire in a relay and give them full/direct battery power.

Thread Information