Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 496HO to 502

Looks good. Sorry you missed the whole summer. This was the best boating summer ever in my area. IDK how many record high temps we broke but it was a lot. Boating is winding down but not done. Your glass work looks similar to what I did and I've had no problems after 4 seasons of running hard on the Great Lakes. I paid to have my exhaust relocated.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Yes, that's a mount for a mechanical fuel pump, no pump just a cover plate. I have that combo one on my 500EFI. The early 500EFI's had vapor lock problems with only an electric fuel pump so they added the mechanical pump on the sea pump housing, The mechanical pump helps by pulling fuel from the tank and supplying to the electric pump.

Looks good Yeller.
    RickS-E

It's been 7 months since I posted anything on this thread. Not a lot has happened. Plan was to have the boat running by April 1st. Well the April fool's joke was on me, because it's still not running. New deadline is June 1st...but so far my deadlines haven't meant squat! I have hired a new supervisor at work, so I'm hoping that will free up a bit more time to get this thing finished.

Bilge area is finished. At least something got done. For a finish, I tried gel, but yellow doesn't cover well and after 3 coats you could still easily see through it. I should have put down a coat or two of white first. So I then switched to a Tremclad paint with a hardener. It covered in one coat. I used a "wet look" hardener and finish really shines. Really does remain looking wet.

I decided to ditch the Merc seawater pump and went with GCarters suggestion of a crank driven pump. I'm also switching to an electric circulating pump

About the only other thing I got done was to paint up some of the engine parts and accessories. Pretty much done all the painting. The last piece I have to do is the intake, then I can get back to working on the engine wiring. I relocated the MEFI and want to clean up and hide as much of the wiring as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why is faster never fast enough.

The parts look really good Glen!
    Lotta work, ain't it?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Looking great! Bolting up the shiny new stuff is the best part. Makes all of the prep work worth it!
    "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

You got that right George! I figured that since the motor was out, I'd make sure everything was painted and "just so". It just didn't seem that big a deal before I started, but the hours just fly by and I never get as much accomplished I think I should.

Duckhunter, I've been following your thread on gaining some hp for your boat. I have just the thing.
    I'm using the bottom one.....you need its offspring.
    Prochargers.JPG.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    You got that right George! I figured that since the motor was out, I'd make sure everything was painted and "just so". It just didn't seem that big a deal before I started, but the hours just fly by and I never get as much accomplished I think I should.

Duckhunter, I've been following your thread on gaining some hp for your boat. I have just the thing.
    I'm using the bottom one.....you need its offspring.
    Yeller - your procharger is dead sexy but that just isn't in the cards for this boat. I am however doing some T&E with an alternative system. Just need to figure out how to plumb my beer cooler as an intercooler without losing too much capacity!

Picture below is right out of the duckhunter skunkworks...

Leaf_Blower.jpg
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

You painted the oil filter yellow?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    You painted the oil filter yellow?
    Attention to detail man! Or feng shui. One or the other...
    - Bill Jordan

1998 Donzi 21LXR
    1971 Boston Whaler 13

Duckhunter, that'd make a good dual purpose "blower". Needs to be painted yellow to work properly though.

Carl, that isn't the oil filter, it's the water seperator.....but I will be painting the oil filter yellow. I shouldn't have to tell you that yellow, makes boats faster, cools motors better and yes...improves filtering capabilities. I don't want to get into the science and molecular structure of it all, because it's pretty much common knowledge.

Well I've been slowly plugging along on getting this done. Really planned to be done by now, but that's not the case. I haven't been updating this thread, because I get such little free time...and what I do get, is spent in the garage working on the boat. Final drop-dead deadline to finish the boat was yesterday, because I had plans to meet RickSE and couple others at Lake Powell in September. It was going to be close, but I was fairly confident I was going to make it, and then my mom went into the hospital. I've been spending time with her, so the boat came to a standstill.

I fully blame George Carter for my boat not being done, though. If he wasn't posting pics of the quality of work he is doing on his boat, I wouldn't have had to up my game and do more to mine. I'm very upset with George right now. I've lost another season because of him.

In order to try and get back on track, I realized it was necessary to purchase a new piece of shop equipment. I find it extremely useful and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Fridge.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    I fully blame George Carter for my boat not being done, though. If he wasn't posting pics of the quality of work he is doing on his boat, I wouldn't have had to up my game and do more to mine. I'm very upset with George right now. I've lost another season because of him.
    I've been blamed for lot's of things in my life, but this one is new and fresh.
    Where he found this confidence in my ideas and work, I've no idea.
    He'd been much better served sending Bobi on shopping trips!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Finished painting most of the engine parts. Painted the intake and I removed the 502 decal and replaced it with a piece of plastic mirror for some added bling. I plan to add a Donzi, 502 or some type of decal to it. Haven't decided yet. Installed the plastic mirror on the engine hatch also

I had bought a set of polished valve covers and painted the lines to match. Never really crossed my mind, but when I went to install the header, it hits the new covers due to the way they curve back into the engine. Oh, well. So much for the bling. I ended up repainting the stock ones and will reuse those.

I also purchased a cheapy polishing pad for my grinder and polished the S/C mount. Not a great job, but better than what it was before.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I ended up painting the bilge. Here's a pic...and the "wet look" additive/hardener I used. The shine is awesome. Really does look wet in person.

Thread Information