Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 496HO to 502

Don't have a picture of it, but I then put in a layer of Knytex in the bilge (up and over the top of each stringer). What a pain in the a** that was. I marked the Knytex ahead of time so I would know exactly where to lay it. Once I wetted it out, I noticed I lined up the wrong marks and had to move it 6". Anyone that's tried to move a saturated piece of fiberglass knows what a mess it makes.

I still plan on putting a second layer in, but the weather hasn't cooperated.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I only used that to cut through the wood pad. Otherwise I used a sandpaper disc

getting there. Nice Work
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2807&dateline=1163742  168
    More Tab, More Tab, More...Damn

Great thread, lots of information on many subjects. Yeller, good luck getting the boat back in the water. Hopefully you will get it buttoned up with lots of great boating weather left.

When I was looking for more power it was unanimous to lose the 496. Scot VanAlstine called me to encourage me to do so. I am so glad that I listened and went to a 502 based engine. Glenn, you will not regret it. Your draining concern is why I did not core my engine room floor. I did not want to trap all that water up front. I'm sorry you're having a crappy summer. In Michigan it has been all 80s & 90s (F). I've been out over a dozen times. We have a big run planned for next week as temps will be in the 90s. Might do Put-in-Bay. I hope you get the engine soon and can find the time to get it done. It won't take long.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Well I'm still not boating. It's been a tough summer with no boat, but I've come to terms with the fact that I won't be back on the water until next year.

Anyways....motor arrived a couple months ago...and it looks like a BEAST! The M3 Procharger is SOOOO much larger than the M1 that was on the 496. The M3 must be capable of serious HP if you want it. Check out the side by side pic of the two.

...............and because everyone had so much fun disecting the last dyno sheet I posted, I've included the most recent one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a lot of work done in the last 3 months. The glass work inside the bilge is all done, but I still need to gel it.

What little time I have had was spent mostly on the transom exterior.
    I filled the exhaust holes by putting a layer of glass over the hole (on the inside). Once the glass had hardened, I cut a wood plug to fit the hole, put a thick layer of putty on it and "squished it" into place and coated the outside with putty as well. When that hardened, I ground it reasonable smooth and glassed over it. When that set, I ground the glass smooth and prepped it for a finishing coat of filler.

When I removed the tabs and steering ram brackets from the transom, I wasn't sure how I was going to remove the 4200 that was on there. I figured it was going to be a major PITA, but when I was in a tool store, I saw a decal/paint "eraser" and figured I'd give it a try.

The thing worked great! I highly recommend it to anyone that needs to remove sealer, decals, or paint stripes off their boat.

With my new tabs, I've decided to install them in the horizontal position. I think they'll acccomplish what I want with the benefit of scubbing less speed. I figure if it doesn't work out, it's not a huge deal to relocate them.

The trouble with installing them how I want is that the transom is curved and the tab mounting plate doesn't lay flat. I needed to fill the gap with a layer of polyester (fiberglass reinforced) putty. I taped up the plates to protect them then put a sheet of parchment paper on the transom and the mating surface of the plate. Then I coated the plate with putty and bolted them to the transom. Once the putty had semi-hardened, I cut off the excess. When I removed the mounting plate, I had a perfect spacer.

Now I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1 - In the pic of my seawater pump, what is the chrome cover for on top and what is the large screw on the side for?

2 - What is the blue thing in the second pic? I think it is suppose to be installed in the crankcase ventilation line to collect any oil before the air is reintroduced to the air intake.........but I'm not sure.

I am also a bit stumped on what to do with my fuel pick up. I need to increase my fuel line and pick up size, but I can't simply remove the pick up from the tank and install a new one. There is a short threaded pipe in the top of my (plastic) tank that holds the pick up, but it can't be removed. I need a minimum 1/2" pick up. Any ideas on how I can install one?

Call or email Moeller and find out what your options are.
    The pickup is so close to the large sender hole, there mey be some options for removing and replacing the metal pickup parts w/something larger.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

The back part is the water pump, the front half with the silver cover is fuel pump. That crazy 2 on 1 mercruiser fuel pump/water pump combo. Looks not in use.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Thanks George. I have a solution now.

Prismo, I didn't know fuel and water pumps were ever combined. I never would have guessed that's what it was. You are correct....the fuel pump isn't being used. Thanks.

Thread Information