Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: 496HO to 502

Boating.......Canadian style!

Just a normal Canadian day on the water.
    Dat's snow in dem dar' hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Congrats. Love the pics--amazing scenery. Did the motor get up to 180-190ish right after starting, just sitting at idle?

Or did the motor jump up to 180-190ish AFTER running hard and backing off? That's pretty common I think.

(There's lots of heat to pull from the motor at speed, but there is a lot of heat transfer due to all that water being pumped through. Right when you back off the throttle, there's still lots of heat to remove but much less water to do it. The temp spikes for a couple of minutes while the lower flow chips away at the heat, but then it drops back to normal.)

The only thing that throws me for sure so far is that I'd expect a closed cooling motor to be a good bit warmer than 140 most of the time. That feels low to me.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Beautiful boat and some beautiful scenery

Good to see the boat back on the water. Hope you get the gremlins fixed. That engine should easily be making more power than a 496 HO.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Congrats. Love the pics--amazing scenery. Did the motor get up to 180-190ish right after starting, just sitting at idle?

Or did the motor jump up to 180-190ish AFTER running hard and backing off? That's pretty common I think.

The only thing that throws me for sure so far is that I'd expect a closed cooling motor to be a good bit warmer than 140 most of the time. That feels low to me.
    Ghost, we were sitting for a while, then fired it up to putt around. The temp slowly kept creeping up until I raised the rpms a bit. That concerns me somewhat. I should be able to putt around indefinitely without overheating.
    I only hit 140deg because that's what I'm running for a thermostat. I have no idea what stat (if any) was in it when the motor was dyno tuned, but I've always preferred lower temp stats. I really need to get someone in the boat that can look at the MEFI while we run.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Good to see the boat back on the water. Hope you get the gremlins fixed. That engine should easily be making more power than a 496 HO.
    Yes, it definitely should. The 496 made around 525~550hp. The dyno sheet on the 502 showed over 650hp/750tq, so I should have more power than the current props can handle. With the 496 hitting 5200, I was contemplating going to 1:36 gears in order to take advantage of the extra hp/tq of this motor. I just need to look into it a bit further.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Thread Information