Thread: Wood Block

Wood Block

My buddy stopped by the house last week to see how the project was going and saw the block of wood that secures the latch to the Donzi hatch lock knob on my work bench and asked me how much wood is on this boat? I told him that’s it and he said that’s good because it looks like s***. I told him my plan was sand/paint it white and put it back in. He didn’t like that plan and took it with him and this is what he gave me back last night. Since he's a wood worker/cabinet maker I figured he was up to something and as it turned out he had some mahogany back at his shop. Turned out nice and will never need to be replaced again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice watch bobby,,, anythin else would be uncivilized
    FISH HARD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanmj
    nice watch bobby,,, anythin else would be uncivilized
    Beat me to it.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

In the "TOP TEN" of older Donzi Classic weaknesses, the latch bracket being screwed into the end grain has to be WAY up in the list!
    I'm sure it's the biggest contributor of hatch blow-overs. I bet there's hundreds of Donzi hatches w/repaired holes where they blew over onto the aft lifting ring. I've repaired some.

Well done, BTW!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Never have I understood the wood block thing. It's like they just said screw it this chunk o wood should do. Mine looked like a fence post so I went to the hardware store and made something else.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Nice friend. Looks like your friend has a 6 pack coming to him in the future.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE] "...chunk o wood..." "....mine looked like a fencepost..."

Funny bullsh** Scott...I laughed even on the third read.
    Regards,
    Adam B. Lively
    Previous owner of a 2002 Donzi Classic 18' Scorpion
    Current owner of a restored 1974 Donzi X-18
    Future owner of a bad-ass Donzi (planning stage)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. "

I don't think I have ever looked at the part on mine. I will have to check it out to see what shape it is in. I can understand that it would do some serious damage if the hatch blew open.

Like the above, nice watch!! Thanks for the heads up.

What I found when I removed it was a warped block of wood with a 3.5” long screw that was starting to loose its hold due to rot out and several cracks. I don’t know if it was original to the boat and as Jay described it looked like recycled deck material.

The watch was an early retirement gift a few years ago from my wife with an interesting story.

When times were good in honor of 25 years of service Bechtel would give their employees a Rolex watch. Everyone picked out the most expensive one available (gold/diamonds) and then for some reason I never understood most people would lock it up in safe and never wear it.

I decided to move on and never made the 25 years, and in the end shortly after Steve Bechtel Senior stepped down the Rolex service award became a thing of the past. Next job I went to work for a very small company and the guy I worked for told me that if I worked for him 25 years that he would buy me a Rolex watch, never made the required 25 years.

Then I went to work for the electric company and 25 years later I get an electronic message congratulating me on 25 years of service and that I cold open up a link and pick out anything I wanted from the attached sheet, as it turned out everything on the sheet was junk worth about $25 and noting I wanted so my wife bought me the watch.

Had to replace rotted block on my 88. Fabricated new one from alum. angle with rivets and screws. Latch is sturdy and secure.

Installed tonight fits good
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information